Error 24 with 4th axis pp

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Raney618
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Error 24 with 4th axis pp

Post by Raney618 »

Hello

I received a fourth axis for Christmas and for the last several months I have been working getting it up and running. I have a Workbee with Open builds Black Box and Interface. I am stumped on some understanding and an error. I loved Randall Newcomb's short cut to making a 4th axis PP by modifying a MACH 2/3 PP. I have configured my workbee such that Y and (Y' or A i assume) drive the Y axis. This is the long axis because I want to be able to carve fancy canes. X goes to the rotary and Z is the up and down. All manual movement work with the interface. I attached the pp file that i modified from the MACH 2/3 pp. Since this is my first time writing on the forum I'm now sure how to look at the file, I hope you can. Anyway there is a statement X = -A in the code, since I use A to drive the other Y drive, does this mess things up? How would I solve the problem? I have seen other pp's that do wrap X on Y.

Secondly, when i run the resultant *.tap file using the INTERFACE i almost consistently i get an Error 24. From what I have read this seems to have something to do with two variables in a block using the same resources - odd. How would I fix the Error if I may humbly ask.

Thirdly my rotary seems to run manually then stops a few deg into the turn. Maybe three times in 360 deg. Do you think this is a problem?

I am sure there are more bugs that I haven't found yet. Hopefully not.

Your help is surely appreciated. I have been at this cnc thing for maybe two years and I carve mostly religious objects and give them away. I just finished an ornate table for our church, If I can figure out where to show projects I will put some pictures there.

Thanks again for your help

John Raney
Raney_wrap_x_on_y_inches.pp
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Error 24 with 4th axis pp

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If your Workbee is using Dual as its control software you may wish to make your rotary modifications to the Ooznest_Duet_Arc post processor similar to what you did for the Mach post processor. You will want to comment out arc moves since you will not need those for rotary.

If you are running Openbuilds then modify the OpenBuilds GRBL post processor.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Raney618
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Error 24 with 4th axis pp

Post by Raney618 »

Randall

Thanks for your post. I will give your suggestions a try and let you know what happens. Probably success this time.

John