Mach4 rotary post processor

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
jdoeren
Model of CNC Machine: 1325, and several rotational axis

Mach4 rotary post processor

Post by jdoeren »

does anyone have a wrap/rotary post processor for mach4 aspire ? the aspire mach3 works but not for the rotary as mach3 and mach4 view the rotary differently. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Mach4 rotary post processor

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If nobody has one I can talk you through the process of creating one. Modifying a post processor sounds more intimidating than it really is.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jdoeren

Post by jdoeren »

I also need help with this as i also do not know how to modify pp. people keep saying that mach3 and mach4 can use the same pp but its not true. 3 axis it does work after that it will work but not correctly. mach3 and mach4 both use Fanuc rotary language but two different ones. at least that's my understanding, now how do I change the pp or does someone have one to share ?

thanks

jdoeren

Post by jdoeren »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 pm
If nobody has one I can talk you through the process of creating one. Modifying a post processor sounds more intimidating than it really is.
if you could help me that would be awesome !!!! I have no idea what needs to be changed, but I love to learn and appreciate the help .

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It isn't all that difficult to take the current post processor for your machine, copy it, and add the few extra lines needed for rotary.

If you have Vectric VCarve or Aspire but don't have a wrapped post processor for your machine it is pretty easy to create one. Editing a post processor is much simpler than you might expect. If you do the editing it will help with your confidence and understanding of how wrapped rotary machining works. (Let's skip the G93 stuff for now.). I'm using a Mach2/3 post processor as en example.

Let's assume you have a post processor for normal flat work. To start with there are only two changes you need to make:
1. Give it a new name in the POST_NAME
2. Add a ROTARY_WRAP command that says whether X or Y moves are being translated into A or B moves

An easy way to get a handle on what needs to change is to compare other post processors and look at the differences. Let's look at [Mach2/3 Arcs (mm)] and [Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(mm)].

There is a line that the Vectric software reads to display the name of the post processor. In the regular Mach post processor it reads:
POST_NAME = "Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)"

The wrapped post processor reads:
POST_NAME = "Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(mm)(*.txt)"

You can assign the POST_NAME most anything you want, but try to avoid unusual special characters -- stick with normal text.

Towards the top of the wrapped post processor an extra command has been added:
ROTARY_WRAP_X = "-A"

Basically this says that X-axis movements will be translated into A-axis movements. You can include or omit the minus sign in front of the A depending on the direction you want the rotary to move. (Hint: if your text is coming out backwards try adding or omitting the minus sign).

If your setup uses B for the rotary axis then substitute B rather than A. For example:
ROTARY_WRAP_X = "B"

If you want the Y-axis moves wrapped rather than the X-axis moves the command would be:
ROTARY_WRAP_Y = "-A

If you want to compare your results with another Mach 4 post processor look at this thread on the Mach Support Forum: Rotary machining on a lathe feed rates
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jdoeren

Post by jdoeren »

thank you that was helpful I think I have it ill run some tests tomorrow