UCCNC Post Processor for Wrapping

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
gordonb
Model of CNC Machine: Suregrave/CNCDrive AXBB cnc engraver

UCCNC Post Processor for Wrapping

Post by gordonb »

I'm currently using Cut2D to generate 2D models and toolpaths for my cnc engraving machine that is based on a CNCDrive AXBB-E and controlled via UCCNC. All works really well and I'm able to produce some very nice stuff on it. I've now managed to get the 4th axis on the engraver up and running and I can engrave rings and the like on it but in order to wrap the toolpaths I'm producing a flat model in Cut2D, generating a toolpath and then wrapping that using G-Code Ripper. This isn't the ideal solution and as I'd also like to be able to do v carving I'm considering upgrading to V-Carve Desktop but I've noticed that there is no wrapping post processor for UCCNC included in the demo version of V-Carve. There have been a couple of mentions of a wrapping UCCNC post processor in this forum in the past but I can't actually find one anywhere.

Is it possible for Vectric to provide such a wrapping pp for UCCNC or does anyone have one they could make available? I'm not confident about modding an existing pp and ideally I'd like it to use G93, which UCCNC supports. Anyone able to help?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: UCCNC Post Processor for Wrapping

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm not confident about modding an existing pp and ideally I'd like it to use G93, which UCCNC supports.
Summary:
1. Save a copy of UCCNC_mm.pp and name it UCCNC_Wrap_X2A_mm.pp
2. Using your favorite text editor open the file UCCNC_Wrap_X2A_mm.pp
3. Find the line POST_NAME = "UCCNC(mm)(*.txt)" and change it to POST_NAME = "UCCNC Wrap X2A (mm)(*.txt)"
4. After the line UNITS = "MM" insert a blank line and then add the line ROTARY_WRAP_X = "-A"
5. Save your changes and close the text editor.

Explanation:
Editing a post processor is much simpler than you might expect. If you do the editing it will help with your confidence and understanding of how wrapped rotary machining works. (Let's skip the G93 stuff for now.)

To start with there are only two changes you need to make:
1. Give it a new name in the POST_NAME
2. Add a ROTARY_WRAP command that says whether X or Y moves are being translated into A or B moves

An easy way to get a handle on what need to change is to compare other post processors and look at the differences. Let's look at [Mach2/3 Arcs (mm)] and [Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(mm)].

There is a line that the Vectric software reads to display the name of the post processor. In the regular Mach post processor it reads:

Code: Select all

POST_NAME = "Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)"
The wrapped post processor reads:

POST_NAME = "Mach2/3-WrapX2A ATC(mm)(*.txt)"
You can assign the POST_NAME most anything you want, but try to avoid unusual special characters -- stick with normal text.

Towards the top of the wrapped post processor an extra command has been added:

ROTARY_WRAP_X = "-A"
Basically this says that X-axis movements will be translated into A-axis movements. You can include or omit the minus sign in front of the A depending on the direction you want the rotary to move. (Hint: if your text is coming out backwards try adding or omitting the minus sign).

If your setup uses B for the rotary axis then substitute B rather than A. For example:

ROTARY_WRAP_X = "B"
If you want the Y-axis moves wrapped rather than the X-axis moves the command would be:

ROTARY_WRAP_Y = "-A"
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

gordonb
Model of CNC Machine: Suregrave/CNCDrive AXBB cnc engraver

Post by gordonb »

Thanks very much for that, works a treat! On the basis of your reply I bought V-Carve Desktop to upgrade from Cut2D Desktop and I'm very pleased with it, does what I wanted it to do. I also decided to try the Mach3 wrapping pp and that works just as well with no error messages. Done my first wrapped job, an acrylic razor handle engraved with a celtic pattern, came out exactly as I hoped, picture attached.
Celtic pattern razor.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

That is an excellent first project on the rotary. We look forward to seeing more!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Barrie123
Model of CNC Machine: ELE1316

Post by Barrie123 »

Thank You,
I appreciate your help.
Barrie123

tcoplin
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510

Post by tcoplin »

Thank you, I will work through this. Have reviewed your 2010 tutorial several times - learning much