X->Y, Y->X rotate ARC problems

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
mschoonmaker
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

X->Y, Y->X rotate ARC problems

Post by mschoonmaker »

I have the X/Y rotation issue (design in "landscape", output G-code in "Portrait") addressed by modding my Post Processor by simply changing (changes bolded for emphasis)

VAR X_POSITION = [X|A|X|1.4]
to
VAR X_POSITION = [X|A|Y|1.4|]

and

VAR Y_POSITION = [Y|A|Y|1.4]
VAR Y_POSITION = [Y|A|X|1.4|]

However the ARCS are giving me fits. I've tried the VAR X_POSITION and VAR Y_POSITION set with the "-1" multiplier than doesn't seem to resolve it.

When using only the X/Y swaps (no multipliers) I get the following results. My test piece below is targeted towards arcs as that's where the issue seems to rear it's ugly hear. The first image is the "landscape" design, and the second image is the "portrait" g-code. Any help would be highly appreciated...
VCarve_Vectric.png
UCC_Arcs.png

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: X->Y, Y->X rotate ARC problems

Post by TReischl »

There is obviously more to it than just some simple swaps:

"I" values are normally calculated as being the distance from where the tool starts the arc to the center of the arc. Same for "J",

So, if you rotate an arc by 90 degrees merely multiplying the values by -1 is not going to help. I am too lazy to figure this all out but I am pretty sure you will need to swap the I and J values, not sure about negating them though.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mschoonmaker

Post by mschoonmaker »

Thanks for the response and suggestions!

I attempted the I/J swaps as you mentioned, and also did the negates on the I/J as well, with test output for each.

In the image below, the leftmost image is if I used my test design but performed the vector rotation and material sizing manually. This is what I'm trying to get away from.

The middle image has the I/J swaps, and the rightmost image has the negates on both I/J. Of course, still not there, but I have no idea where to go from here. ANY thoughts you (or anyone else!) might have would be most appreciated.
Swap_IJ.png

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Most likely you need to both swap and negate?
Try following:
x -> -y
y -> x
i -> -j
j -> i

Greg K

mschoonmaker

Post by mschoonmaker »

Thanks GregK - that did the trick!!!