DM/PL

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

DM/PL

Post by calgrdnr »

Hello all
I have aquired a old printer/plotter Houston instrument DMP-56A I would like to use as a Vinyl cutter . The only way to drive this so far is through Autocad. I would love to be able to Vectric software like what is being done in this link http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6d1ac9696d is this possible ?
it uses DM/PL command language. I didn't see any post processors that hinted it uses this . and of course the DMP56a is not listed .....

thanks for reading and if you have answer or suggestion please let me know ... I would rather not have to learn Autocadto use it , but it is always good to learn something new :)

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Kent,

If you have an example of the output required, then please mail
it to me. I will see if there is anything that we can do with it.

Cheers,

Mark.

support (at) vectric (dot) com

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Mark , as soon as I figure out how to get example I will send. I also have DM/PL command language book that game with plotter. I can scan command descriptions or any thing else that may be helpful

thanks very much Kent

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Hello Mark ,
I Tried send book in pdf form it was to large for your email going to work on breaking it up and send to you in parts. will get to you in next couple of days thanks for all the fantastic support as is the normal for you guys

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Hello Mark I go t it all sent I hope you got it . I didn't get any error messages this time. I sent it in 12 different files. please let me know if you need anything else thanks again Kent

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hello, just check if your Vinyl cutter doesn't also run HPGL, Some units are compatible with both.
bit of a long shot but may save you some grief.
Cheers
Bart

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks Bart ,
Thats the first thing I did after reading your thread.... I was crossing my fingers,unfortunatly this plotter came out before they decided the could include HPGL and make life easier for some :)
I can run it from autocad LT98 and I should/will learn to use it,but I am getting proficient at VCP. I real like this program it makes things real easy .... so you see I was trying to take the easy way out :). I still need to figure out what cutting blade will work for me or if I need to make one... just another project to have fun with .

thanks again for the suggestion

kent

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Hi Kent,
I've had a quick look and there is no information that i can find on the net about the DMPL command set however i did find a link to an output sample on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMPL

I've knocked up a quick test Post processor which works fine on my dual mode cutter. So give it a go and see what happens... will show up under "Generic DMPL"

Once your cutting let me know and i'll show you a couple of tricks to get the best out of your Vinyl Cutter and Vcarve.

Regards
Bart
Attachments
DMPL1.zip
DMPL Post Processor !TEST ONLY!
(638 Bytes) Downloaded 292 times

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard

Post by calgrdnr »

Howdy Bart , thanks for the file I will give it a shot when I get home from work . I also got a test file from Mark . What great support from the vectric community.

I scanned the DMPL language book if you would like copy pls PM me with your Email address . it will have to be sent in parts 12 to be exact. It is in pdf format .

Thanks again all for the support. If this works people can start looking for older Huoston instrument plotters to use as vinyl cutters Should be cheap :)