EMC2 post processor question

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
dustcitydesigns
Model of CNC Machine: 4'x8' Shopbot, IQ Pro w/ 4th Axis

EMC2 post processor question

Post by dustcitydesigns »

Hey everyone,

So i'm very new to this whole vectric software program. I've got a 4'x8' shop bot cnc machine run off of EMC2. I've also got a 4 axis laguna iq pro. We bought this software originally to use with the new laguna, but figure if I can use it both machines that would be awesome. We've been using other software for the Shopbot, and it's worked perfect for our needs. We generally are doing pockets, profiles, and drilling holes. So other software has worked perfectly.

Yesterday I went to create my gcode file for a simple program and the file was massive. I put it on our cnc machine and the machine ran incredibly slow. When I went back and compared files I immediately knew why. With other software the files were being output with I and J arcs. The Aspire codes don't have them and I think they are just too much for my machine to handle in terms of latency.

So how do I get those I and J arcs back or just get this down to a much more manageable file size? I've attached an example of my old .ngc file. The new file aspire file is too big to even upload here.
Attachments
cambamfile.txt
Old other software file
(22.8 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

AcBCDN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeBuilt

Re: EMC2 post processor question

Post by AcBCDN »

I am using the EMC2 post processor as well. I have had unusually large files at times too. However it is usually the source DXF file that I imported. I use VCarve not Aspire. If I have a problem it is normally because there are too many nodes from the sources file on either the lines or curves when it was imported. So, I either have to delete some nodes on the straight lines or use the fit curves to selected vectors tool to clean up the number of nodes. That seems to work well for me. For consideration.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: EMC2 post processor question

Post by Adrian »

Are you using a post processor that supports arcs and do you definitely have arcs in the actual file?

As far as I can see all the EMC2 PP's that come with Aspire support arcs so unless you're using a different one the problem might be that the vectors don't contain arcs. You can use the Fit Curves to Selected Vectors tool to fit arcs to the vectors in that case.