iCarver PP for V Carve Pro 6.5

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
silent guy in back
Model of CNC Machine: iCarver 40-915X

iCarver PP for V Carve Pro 6.5

Post by silent guy in back »

First I tried to import a .pdf file that I wanted to cut. An error message said that it was a .bmp file, no, I scanned it as a .pdf file and thats how it had come to me as a .pdf. Now, I'm confused, so I try to draw the picture using the tool bar. I came out with something that looked somewhat like I had been trying to get started with. I go through and get all the vectors connected I could find. I was still showing 12 ignored open vectors, I couldn't find them so I said to ignore them. I get all the tool paths done and get the picture saved as a .crv file. I think OK, now I'm getting somewhere.
I plug the jump drive in to the iCarver, find my file and click on it...it says NONE!
So I think OK, it could be I don't have the PP installed, nope, thats not it either.
So now I need help, the picture really does look like crap, but I want to cut it anyway, why won't the machine accept the file. I purchased the bundle with VCarve Pro 6.5, PhotoVCarve, and Cut3D. I got the PP thing fixed with Mark at Vectric about the PP's. I can use the Cut3D, and the PhotoVCarve, but not the VCarve Pro.

Any suggestions? I know there are a lot of questions in there, but there I have more questions than answers. HELP!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: iCarver PP for V Carve Pro 6.5

Post by Adrian »

With PDF files it depends on how the file was made. A lot of people create PDF files using bitmap graphics for the illustrations rather than vector graphics. VCarve only works with vector based PDF files. A bitmap graphic has to be converted to a vector using the trace tool but, as you've found, if the source graphic is not a high quality image the results are less than satisfactory without editing being performed.

If you've scanned an image into a PDF file then it will be a bitmap file not vector based. The best formats to use for scanning are TIFF or an uncompressed format such as BMP or JPG (set to 100%).

By the sounds of the steps you've taken it seems like you're trying to load the .crv file into your machine. You need to save the toolpaths using the correct PP from the save toolpaths icon on the toolpaths tab and transfer that file to your machine.

It's worth spending some time on the support site at http://support.vectric.com reviewing the FAQ's and videos.

silent guy in back

Adrian, thanks for the info.
I have started the tutorials (after I posted this of course, and forgot about the PP) and learned a great deal from the very first tutorial. Thank you for the info on PDF's. I thought a PDF was a PDF, now I see that it can be a wolf in sheep's clothes. Also, I am looking at all the posts that look anything like what I need or type of info I need.

If I have a picture and want too put it in to V Carve Pro, I should scan it as a TIFF file? Will it import better than trying a PDF? And what if I have printed out a pattern that was designed as a PDF disguised as a BMP file (or vice versa) can I re-scan it as a TIFF file and put it in as a pattern?

My iCarver came with a different software bundle, but I liked the Vectric software better, so unfortunatly the guys at the local Woodcraft store can't help me because they are using the Delcam software that came with the machine. Fortunately there are carryover files that will work with any type of machine.

There is only learning, you can not unlearn what you have learned.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

A lot depends on the type of picture it is. I scan in a lot of line art which works well as a TIFF but a full colour picture wouldn't.

The important thing is to make sure that the image isn't messed about with by the scanning software. You want nice sharp edges and detail. Most scanning software, when saving as a JPG, will use a quality setting of 80 which will make for a smaller file size and a picture that looks fine to human eyes but not as good as it could be for tracing.

If you can change the quality setting to 100 then a JPG scan would be fine. BMP files are often uncompressed when scanning as well.

Of course the most important thing is the quality of the original image.

silent guy in back

OK, I have the line art for a mantle clock that I originally thought was a PDF, but found out it was hiding some other software in the pattern. I have since re-scanned the pattern as a TIF file and I'll see if that works.

There is only learning, you can not unlearn what you have learned, unless you have been shot in the head. (One of my Soldiers)