Post processor fields

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
todmorg

Post processor fields

Post by todmorg »

I would like to make a feature request-

I use Vcarve for my Milling machines, lathes and plasma table.

It would be great if the Tool database form- Notes field could be used in the post processor. This would allow notes stored with each tool to be displayed in the G-code file, without having to manually enter notes for each cycle in the toolpath control forms window.

Second, and WAY more important---

A comment field at the beginning and end of each tool that could be used in the post processor. This would allow information for canned cycles, M3,M4,M5's Coolant toggles, or whatever.

This should add very little confusion for people who do not need the extra capabilities, but it would be great for people who need to be able to spin the spindle different directions for different tools, or toggle coolants, or add a dwell for a specific tool, or do a canned cycle or........

Todd

rdean33422
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: RF31, 4X8 Router both CNC

Re: Post processor fields

Post by rdean33422 »

That is the idea behind changing the pp to be able to pass information on to the machine software for custom operations.
I use the tool number to run several macros in Mach3 to simulate a commercial wood boring machine. See my post in the Hardware Related section of the forum for a video of some of what is possible.

Ray

todmorg

Post by todmorg »

Ray, after I posted, I found out there was version 1.1.1 of the pp manual.

The 1.1.1 shows using the tool notes field in the post processor, just like I was asking for!

Now all we need is a field at the end for shutting off tools, or closing canned cycles.

Todd

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Thw way Ray has it setup is the way it should really be done in my opinion. That level of detail should be down to the controller program rather than the CAM program.

I do a similiar thing with my ShopBot with custom files being called from the PP and the custom files in the control program then making the decision on what to do based on the current tool etc.

todmorg

Post by todmorg »

On my Mach3 machines, using tool numbers to trigger macros work great. I haven't found a way to macros on my Anilam or Acromatic controls

An example of what I'm trying to do is a G73 stock removal on the lathe---

G73[PROF_START]-[PROF_END] ( all the variables here )
G0 ( start position )
[PROF_START]
( Everything above this line would be stored and modified in the tool notes field and inserted automatic )

This area would be where the shape is defined by G0,1,2,3's

( This is where the [PROF_END] needs to go, along with any M5's, or dwells or whatever )

I can make it all work, except, i haven't found a way to insert the [PROF_END] line, without going in and doing it manually in the G-code.

I know I'm pushing the limits of the software, but a 2nd tool notes field that could be inserted at the end of a cycle would give lots of flexibilty, and eliminate the chance of errors associated with manual editing.