LinuxCNC Toolchanger or manual toolchange

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
BiuTse
Model of CNC Machine: High-Z

LinuxCNC Toolchanger or manual toolchange

Post by BiuTse »

Hi, did someone modify the linuxcnc [mm] postprocessor to use with manual or automatic toolchanger.

I would like to export my toolpath in one file only, but vcarve pro 12 tells me that the linuxcnc postproc. isn't configured for it.

Best regards

zoner
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam GrafiX cutter, FS1530, LinuxCNC

Re: LinuxCNC Toolchanger or manual toolchange

Post by zoner »

Is the CNC manual or ATC ?

For manual, here is the post processor I used for my LinuxCNC
Attachments
CNCproCuts-Emc2_G64_Arcs_mm.pp
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

Hi thx a lot
Will try it!

The cnc is both atc and manual. Depends what I need. But manual is already perfect for my next job.
(ATC I am using mainly with other software Projects)

zoner

Post by zoner »

For a more complex post processor with complex ATC you can look at the one I published for my FS1530 cnc.

It has an ATC with a bank of 10 tools, plus an oscilating knife, plus a third knife, be it a multi angle drag knife or a creasing wheel. The post processor needs to insert some special commands and M Codes depending on the tool used. Look at it to get ideas !

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

Cool wil also look at this one for later use

thx

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

I tried your PP but I still can't chose creating toolpaths in one file (still message that it isn't supported by the pp)

or should I try with your ATC PP?

My goal is to get all the toolpath in one file and then at the G43 M6 T... command I will change manually the tool (which is already measured)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

BiuTse wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:13 pm
I tried your PP but I still can't chose creating toolpaths in one file (still message that it isn't supported by the pp)

or should I try with your ATC PP?

My goal is to get all the toolpath in one file and then at the G43 M6 T... command I will change manually the tool (which is already measured)
There are no toolchange segments in that PP. To enable tool changing you need the TOOLCHANGE section in the PP not just the NEW_SEGMENT.

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

So I changed it my self.
I will test it tomorrow.

zoner

Post by zoner »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:16 pm
There are no toolchange segments in that PP. To enable tool changing you need the TOOLCHANGE section in the PP not just the NEW_SEGMENT.
What happens when you want to do both ATC with the toolchange and sometimes manual one ... When manual only you don't put a TOOLCHANGE section ... for ATC you do ... but manual and ATC ? That is a first for me ...

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

zoner wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:34 am

What happens when you want to do both ATC with the toolchange and sometimes manual one ... When manual only you don't put a TOOLCHANGE section ... for ATC you do ... but manual and ATC ? That is a first for me ...
Maybe it's me. I wasn't precise enough ;-)

I have an ATC spindle but the tool magazine isn't ready now, so I have to change the tools "manually", but the tools length are already measured and saved in the tool table of linuxcnc.
So no "automatic tool change" but "manual" ;-)

But with your input I tried to look closer in the pp and could modify it, so big thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

zoner wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:34 am
Doesn't matter. It's down to how you save the files. If you save the file with one of the multiple different options then you have to have a TOOLCHANGE section by definition as the software won't let you do it without. If there aren't different tools or you choose one of the different save options then it will work either way.

Whether the actual toolchange is done via manual prompts from the control software (as I do) or via a full ATC depends on how the control software handles tool changing. For the PP's I have experience with it's done by macro calls to code within the control software so it's those routines that change for a manually prompted vs fully automatic change not the post processor itself.

zoner

Post by zoner »

10 years ago I designed and built my own LinuxCNC 5'x10'x6''... with its HAL and all ... but it was a manual toolchange so there was no TOOLCHANGE section in my post processor.

Later I operated a Multicam Grafix also 5'x10'x6'' that has either an oscillating knife (T31) or a 45 degrees drag knife (T32) but still no TOOLCHANGE section was needed.

I just bought an FS1530, a chinese CNC 5'x10'x8'' with a tool rack of 10 tool holders, so ATC, an oscillating knife and a multi angle drag knife. I have to build the post-processor ... that one has a TOOLCHANGE section that is a tad complex. I published it here a while ago ... first draft that is

But I never had a machine that could do both manual and automatic tool change ... how do you express that in the post-processor ? There has to be some function call that triggers manual tool change (probably triggered by the tool number) because if not I don't understand how you could do both ...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I would do it with ranges of tool numbers so the control software macro would know what to do. As I say there would be no need to change the post processor if the tool changing is all done via macro calls.

I think there is some confusion going on in this thread over what a manual tool change is within the context of the original question.

If you change the tool manually and there is no intervention from the control software while doing that then that is not the sort of manual tool change that I believe we are discussing. Certainly no toolchange section is needed as you wouldn't be able to save a file from VCarve with more than one tool in it anyway.

If you save a code file with multiple different tools in it and the control software stops and asks you to change the bit as it comes across it in the code then that is what I mean by manual tool changing in this context. It can be as simple as telling you a toolchange is needed right up to stopping the spindle, moving to a tool change position, and then re-zeroing before carrying on with the rest of the code. That is how the post processor and macros I use work. Essentially full ATC functionality except I am doing the role of the ATC toolbank.

It would be trivial to change those macros so that if a tool number was outside of a certain range it would do a full ATC rather than manual change. Again there would be no change to the ATC post processor as the only thing changing is the tool number and the macros within the control software.

BiuTse

Post by BiuTse »

That is exactely how I tested my atc with magazine.
Numbers till 50 are automatic and numbers above are „manual“ change (controlled by macros in the controller and not pp)
It isn‘t nice as solution but I don t have the money to have each tool in a holder. And for short jobs I prefer the „manual“ way

But to come back to pp of vectric. I have to say that it is really easy to understand and change.