Build Your Own Indexer For Under $200.00

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
argreen

Build Your Own Indexer For Under $200.00

Post by argreen »

Before I start going into the details , for those who would like to do CNC with an indexer but don't have the time or inclination to build one there is a great unit for sale by MAXNC (maxnc.com) accessories) for $511.50 plus shipping..This is the model I copied to create my own. First a list of the major components:
4in. rotary table-Grizzly Model H5940 ................................$155.95+shipping
Stepper motor Vexta PK266-02A interinar@att.net ..............$30.99 (includes shipping)
(also found on Ebay)
If you don't like my homemade tail stock Maxnc has a steel one fir $49.95+shipping.
There isn't much to explain how it goes together- the pictures say it all. The coupling between the stepper and rotary table should be accurately bored. The one in the picture was my 3rd attempt and finally done on a metal lathe. Even there I have tiny wiggle from eccentricity but my hoedown is very accommodating. Don't get panicky over the small size stepper. There is a 72/1 ration between the stepper and the table creating lots of torque.
The tail stock is an original. Using the shelf brackets was because I owned them. It works fine and gives me lots of adjustment. The screw in the tail stock is also a 1/2 threaded rod already in the shop. Grind a 90deg point and then use your 90deg router bit to indent the stock. It's very important to make sure the screw point is at the exact height as the ctr of the rotary table.
The picture of the disk shows a way of connecting stock to the rotary. The 4 bolts are 3/8 and the threaded part just fits the slots on the rotary. By putting them carefully on a circle and 90deg apart you have a great attachment system for the headstock. If you look carefully you will see one of my bolts needed trimming due to poor fit.
Attachments
P1000727.JPG
P1000728.JPG
P1000729.JPG
P1000730.JPG

Gc3

Re: BUILD YOUR OWN INDEXER FOR UNDER $200.00

Post by Gc3 »

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7173

yeeeehawwwwww 1st post I checked it out here and SB forum thanks for the links, pretty cool...some good ideas!

maybe link your thread to the one above...

Gene