Has anyone built a standalone lathe (indexer)

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Has anyone built a standalone lathe (indexer)

Post by jseiler »

In the thread cheap indexer, Larry asked if anyone had made a standalone lathe/indexer. So the cheap indexer thread didn't get off track, I moved the question and have one answer.

And yes, in my spare time, I've been working on one a standalone indexer. It won't have enough speed to act as a lathe. I'm building it out of 80/20 aluminum extrusion, 1/2" aluminum plate, lots of 80/20 angle connectors, a bayside gearbox, a grizzly tailstock, and a nova chuck with blank adapter.

This project got started when I landed a $2000 right angle gearbox (RA115 low backlash Bayside monster) on ebay for $100. It was sized for a 1/2" input shaft and had a 28mm (I think) output shaft. I ordered a blank adapter for the nova chuck and had that bored to the right size and a set screw put in. That made the headstock. I used a piece of 12"x6"x.5" aluminum as a mounting bracket to mount that gearbox to 80/20 extrusion. For the tailstock, I used a 12" rotary table tailstock from grizzly, under $100. I mounted the tailstock to a piece of 12"x6"X.5" aluminum so that I could move it on 80/20 aluminum extrusion that I'm using as the "lathe" bed.

For the motion down the length of the indexer, I'm using the cncrouterparts.com rack and pinion drive with 4" cold rolled steel as the linear guide. Neat stuff.

For the z axis, I'm using a thk linear actuator I got from ebay. Its definately not stout enough for this, and I'll probably use the stuff from cncrouterparts to make a heavier z axis.

I'm not even close to done with this. I still need to get the motors spinning and get everything aligned, but it should work. I should be done by the end of January. So far, so good!

Maybe this weekend I'll post a progress picture.

John

wrench
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Has anyone built a standalone lathe (indexer)

Post by wrench »

I am building one as we speak. Hope to have the wiring and Steppers turning today, and then onto the Mechanics.
I have a Cheap lathe that I have no interest in, that I am going to use as the foundation.
I bought a 36:1 Gear Reduction unit off of EBay, but they failed to mention a few issues and it is now a paper weight. I will probably go with timing belt drive.
I have so many side projects on the go right now but hope to have this up and running after the Holidays.
I will post pictures later if interested.
Wrench

Woodie49

Post by Woodie49 »

Hi,
I would like to see the pictures.
Thaks, Larry

PaulCNCMann
Vectric Craftsman

Post by PaulCNCMann »

I too am building a stand alone indexer....
I've been gathering parts over the past few months (6). And have started assembly.
My goal to start is to be able to cut a working area 22" in diameter & 4' in Length. But I've gathered the parts to quickly add another 4'...
I wanted to set a 2k limit. I'll be fairly close to it too.
Thanks
Paul Mannhardt

wrench
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wrench »

I am tied up trying to turn my Stepper Motors. I think I have to many Amps for my Drivers.
I bought a Lathe for a one off project from Busy Bee here in Canada for $135. Busy Bee is our Grizzly(Brothers own both Stores, so I here) so my whole set up will run me less than $600.
All I have right now is a table top of electronics and a lathe with a box of belts and pulleys.
I will post pictures of my progress, once I have made some (progress, that is).

PaulCNCMann
Vectric Craftsman

Post by PaulCNCMann »

wrench where in Canada are you??? I'm not far from Guelph,ON...
Anyone building one have any pics yet... I'll try to post some of what I've got started this week.

Paul
Thanks
Paul Mannhardt

wrench
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wrench »

Hi Paul, I am in Brampton.Not far from you. Just got online in Colorado. Will be back in Canada mid January.
I am looking for bits and pieces over here and wonder about shipping back home as "gifts".
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

Here's where I am now. No control system hooked up yet. Grizzley tailstock is hidden behind the right angle gearbox. rack and pinion x axis from cncrouterparts.

John
Attachments
P1020217-2.jpg

Mike_dk

Post by Mike_dk »

Gc3

Post by Gc3 »

That is a nice machine....great job :mrgreen:

cleenrmn
Vectric Apprentice

Post by cleenrmn »

i was just wondering if anyone has tried to modify a legacy mill to become a stand alone indexer ? http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=3
3.jpg
Attachments
3.jpg

BR928S4

Post by BR928S4 »

I built this standalone indexer from surplus ShopBot parts I have been collecting over the past couple of years.

I am looking forward to using my Aspire software to put this machine to work.
Attachments
StandAloneIndexer.jpg

Bret

Post by Bret »

Hi,
Is there any DIY Plans or resources, web sites, for one of these? Looks pretty straight forward I was just wondering how many and what I would need. (Motors, Drivers etc.)
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bret

danmega
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router

Post by danmega »

very nice

Woodie49

Post by Woodie49 »

BR928S4 ,
Do you have Drawings or Plans for your Indexer?
Thanks,