Using Flashcut CNC on metal lathe

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Using Flashcut CNC on metal lathe

Post by hmatyas »

I downloaded the post processor for Flashcut CNC and assumed that I wrap around the X axis. When I loaded the file (rounding gagdet), and then ran it I got 1,324 errors. It does not recognize the Y axis. Also, the way the machine is setup, the z axis goes the length of the lathe, the X axis is the actual cutter. The machine that I am using is a Smithy Granite 1324. So it is a metal lathe and also a milling machine. I guess that I could generate the gcode and run a procedure that changes all the Xs to something like TempAxis, then change all the Zs to X, then change the TempAxis to Z and just delete all the Ys. Would this work or is there a better way? I belong to a makerspace and this was a piece of equipment that was donated. It works manually, but since I have the software, and the unit has the stepper motors, limit switches and controller, I figure that it is worth some time and effort to get it to work with gcode.

I guess that if I can't switch the axis, I could actually switch the stepper motors. But doing that will mess with the display of the machine.

After I figure this out, I will have to do something similar when milling occurs.

Thanks in advance.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Using Flashcut CNC on metal lathe

Post by IslaWW »

I will give you some basic info towards both post you have made regarding metal lathe usage. First you should know that Vectric software does not support output for a lathe cutting. There are a number of Lathe CAM products out there, but out of deference to our hosts, they will not be mentioned.

That said, you can modify a Vectric postP to get proper motion for a lathe in Z (left/right) and X (in/out). This is not a task for the uneducated or impatient, as you have to swap axis designators and change a multiplier as the X axis is in diametral, which reads 2" when the tip of the bit is 1" from the axial centerline.

To set up lathe tools for toolpathing you will need to know the radius of the cutter's tip and use an inside/outside profile strategy on an open vector. Once you have a finish profile, you must add angular "retracts" and then using that completed vector, generate the required multiple passes via the offset tool.

You can see in the picture below the finish profile between the 2 tick marks with the retracts added. Then note the 6 passes that incrementally remove material. Lastly on the bottom, note the toolpath preview for the first of those passes.

FYI, this was a game call shape on a wood lathe I used to sell a good number of, but no longer do, but the principal is the same.
Lathe Toolpaths.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com