First Walking Stick

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

First Walking Stick

Post by gkas »

I just finished my first walking stick on the rotary. I had quite a bit of fun. Lots of fun challenges like: Drilling the center on a 1-inch diameter stick. Like: Putting a flat and a centered hole on a 1-1/2 inch sphere, epoxying a 1/4-20 bolt into the top of the staff mounting the ball with a threaded insert so it's also centered.

All in all very enjoyable challenges. Since this is for my youngest grandson, I was able to use a piece of 2x2 redwood that I had laying around. It is pretty sturdy, since it's only 32 inches in length, with no knots, and very light for the youngster.

The basic stick was a hair over 1" (1.08"), so I 3D printed a rubber foot with some soft TPU.

QUESTION: How do you make the base of the stick turn down to exactly 1 inch? Does one plan so that the height of all of the ornamentation is something like 0.25 in height and use the 'Model Position In Material' to get the total diameter?
20221122_114557_small.jpg
20221122_114642.jpg

pappybaynes
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger

Re: First Walking Stick

Post by pappybaynes »

Very nice!

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

nice job.

Gary

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

Great job!

gkas wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:25 am
QUESTION: How do you make the base of the stick turn down to exactly 1 inch? Does one plan so that the height of all of the ornamentation is something like 0.25 in height and use the 'Model Position In Material' to get the total diameter?
If you create your own rounding toolpath as a component, instead of using the rounding gadget, then all the standard options for manipulating height become available as you build your model on your base component. I use a 2 rail sweep to create the base component.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Very nice. I keep wanting to make one, and I keep finding other things I have to do. . . . .::::sigh:::::
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I use a spiral for almost all round projects.
First, make sure your z-zero is set EXACTLY as the center of rotation. Any variation will be doubled when turning round.
Use the wrapping spiral gadget with only one strand and the spacing between strands set to the stepover of the bit you intend to use. I have several different sizes of flat bottom cutting bits but the one I use most is the 1 1/4 inch with a 40% (.5") stepover.
Set the feed rate very slow to start with until you get a feeling of what is best for your setup. Especially on small diameters to avoid chatter.
You can play with the starting and ending points depending on how long your blank is.
Ungroup the sloped vector and create a toolpath set on the line with a shallow depth of cut to get close to the final diameter. Then in the project setup set the diameter to the final size and create a toolpath with 0 depth of cut. The machine will think it's skimming along the top so be sure that the starting diameter is close to the final size.
Steve

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

JoeBlow wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:57 pm
Great job!

gkas wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:25 am
If you create your own rounding toolpath as a component, instead of using the rounding gadget, then all the standard options for manipulating height become available as you build your model on your base component. I use a 2 rail sweep to create the base component.
Got it... :D That would eliminate a lot of frustration.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Continuous turning round 101
Attachments
1001 Vectric Continuous Turning Round 27 Mar 2021.pdf
(637.65 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Steve