Rounding Toolpath Tool Settings

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Rounding Toolpath Tool Settings

Post by gkas »

I got my rotary up and running. I completed a couple of small tests on font placement and adding 3D clips. I'm now running a chunk of 4x4 for a test on a larger project. I ran into a problem of losing steps (I think) with a 0.5 inch downcut. I then changed the toolpath and reran. My question is this: If you edit the tool after the rounding toolpath is created, do those changes take effect when you do a Save Toolpath? If I decrease the default stepover, will the new settings be used?

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Rounding Toolpath Tool Settings

Post by Tailmaker »

without answering your question directly...
losing steps on a rotary system may or may not be related to tool loading, i.e. depth of cut or stepover.
Depending on your machine control, it can also be caused by max speed and acceleration settings of the rotary, especially when the standard G94 (units per minute mode) is used. I had a heck of a time to dial in my machine, and ended up mostly using G93 (inverse time feed mode).
After all, the "normal" concept of feed rate is lost when doing mainly rotation moves. If you make tool paths mostly in axial direction this is less of an issue.
Do an air cut of the problematic file. If you still lose steps, it is definitely the control settings. If that works fine, it may be overworking the machine.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you altered the setup of the tool using the edit button in the toolpath setup screen and then recalculate then the answer is yes. The new settings will be effective in the toolpath. If you just altered the settings in the tool database then the answer is no unless you edit the toolpath and re-select the tool.
Steve

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

I used the EDIT button in the toolpath.

tnx

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

If you used the rounding gadget, only start depth and feedrate can be adjusted and saved after the toolpath is created.

If you created your own rounding toolpath, then yes.

*thats in version 9.5. Maybe different in later versions
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

That's what I was beginning to think. I made multiple changes with the Toolpath Edit, down to very small amounts, and they didn't seem to change the resulting carve. I assume the changes entered into the tool database will have effect in the Toolpath. I can edit the database before I generate the Rounding toolpath.

tnx

Gerry