Nova Chuck for Axiom rotary

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Nova Chuck for Axiom rotary

Post by gkas »

Could someone point me to the correct Nova G3 chuck for the Axiom rotary (ARK360). I'm contemplating a rotary purchase and heard somewhere that this is the chuck to get. I know nothing lathes, chucks, etc. I do know a lot about my Pro8 and CNC.

I guess that this is still the best rotary for the Pro8.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Nova Chuck for Axiom rotary

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I have the G3 for the rotary setup on my Camaster. It works great. When purchasing there are a few things to consider.
1. The size and threads per inch on your machine. I bought the G3 and an adapter. They also make them in a fixed size for standard sized machines so an adapter isn't needed. Mine was not one of them.

2 Make sure the adapter and the chuck are made for reversible directions. This usually means a set screw on the chuck and the adapter. The 4th axis will spin both ways and the chuck will work loose if a set screw isn't set snugly.

4 You will need jaws. Nova makes a wide variety including a quick change version. They can be pricey, especially the quick change version, so just buy the ones you need for each job .
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Thanks... appreciate the info.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I bought mine from a local Woodcraft store. They carry a pretty good selection of jaws but I had to order the adapter from Nova.
Steve

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

My suggestion would be to make or buy an adapter that stays on the 4th axis spindle.
The aim being to make the 4th axis spindle the same thread as your wood lathe.

I find this to be a real advantage with the 4th axis work that I do.
Swapping a job to the lathe or 4th axis while maintaining setup can be a really handy.

For example moving a finished rotary job to the lathe for easy sanding.
Or swapping something like a bowl to the 4th axis for some decorative vee carving.

MiloScott
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by MiloScott »

I use Super Nova 2 chucks on Lathes and the CNC. The CNC has different vibrations than a lathe. The CNC rotates in reverse as much as forward. As a result, my chuck would have a tendency to vibrate loose. I added a hose clamp around the jaws, circled in red in the photo, which stopped the chuck from loosening up.
Jaw Hose Clamp.jpg