Annoying "bug" when changing project diameter

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Annoying "bug" when changing project diameter

Post by 4DThinker »

I've been using the transform tool to unwrap object outlines to make interesting extrusions on my rotary axis. Table legs and center posts, etc..
My process often includes sometimes changing the project diameter as it is easier to reduce the size of the board blank using my table saw and/or planer than having the CNC mill away excess wood for the job.
It took me awhile to realize that when you've got vectors on the screen, and change the project diameter, those vectors will warp in width. When the change is small the stretch or shrink is hard to notice, but definitely can screw up outcomes when a recalculate uses the stretched vectors instead of what I wanted it to use.
This is true for Aspire 10,515, and the trail version of 11. Easy to test by drawing a square or circle in a rotary job. Go back in to job setup and change the diameter. Keep an eye on your square or circle and you'll see it stretch or shrink depending on if you increased or decreased the diameter.
For some instances it might be nice to have the vector width adjust with the diameter, but as I use Aspire to draft out vectors for moulding toolpaths I don't want or expect those vectors to warp on me just because I changed the diameter of my job. A frustrating bug that has "sort of" ruined a few jobs that didn't come out as expected.

4D