Question please

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 4896 Rotary Axis

Question please

Post by MikeSibley »

I have a brand new Avid CNC rotary axis on my Pro 4896 machine. I have yet to cut anything but have everything aligned and ready.

My question, if I have a piece of material 4x4x16 inches long and some of it goes into the chuck to hold it. What are the cutting dimensions of something like that? I know it cannot cut into the chuck. Is there a setting somewhere that tells me where the actual cutting surface begins? I haven't even tried as I don't want to A) screw it up and B) break a perfectly good bit!!

Just looking for a little direction from you guys that know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Question please

Post by MikeSibley »

PS - This also helps me determine how long the original piece of material needs to be versus the finished piece. I know this is probably elementary, but I am simply trying to figure it out without damage to the machine or bit. Thanks,

Mike :D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If the blank is 16" long and bottom end is in the chuck, tell the software it is only 15.5" or 15.25" depending on how much is in the chuck. Then set your Y 0 (or maybe your X 0) at the tailstock end.

On mine I have a 3-jaw chuck and have made some hexagonal blanks to screw into my rotary blanks. The chuck hold the hex blanks so I can cut all of the board I have mounted. If you've got a 4-jaw chuck then you might consider making some square blanks with screw holes you can screw onto the rotary blank. Let the chuck hold the square blank so you can cut the entire length of your rotary blank. Of course this assumes you won't mind the screw holes left behind when you're done cutting the project and remove the hex or square end piece.
4D

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MikeSibley »

Thank you so much! I'm learning about the 4th axis and without you guys who are willing to share your knowledge, I'd be up the creek!

I do have a 4 jaw chuck and a block would probably be the best option. I'm going to go out and give it a try in the morning.

Once again, thank you very much!

Mike