4th Axis Rotation Problems

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
CutnCreate
Model of CNC Machine: TigertecTR510 ATC

4th Axis Rotation Problems

Post by CutnCreate »

Hello Everyone!

I recently started using a CNC Router with a 4th axis and it uses the RichAuto B58e controller (part of their B5X range). I am really struggling to get the 4th axis to work correctly. I have trawled through all of the different forums on here to find an answer and I haven't found one that works yet, I am hoping you guys can help me out.

I have had no problem with creating the wrapped toolpath and the rounding toolpath gadget works really well. The cutter stepped all the way round the square stock I had and created a perfectly round blank cylinder. When I came to machine the spiral toolpath the 4th axis doesn't seem to rotate fully with the movement of the Y axis, The 4th axis (A) can move in both directions and it did whilst it was machining the spiral, just not enough to match the drawing. Also when performing the Cove toolpath at either end the router came down in the Z and touched the material and lifted back up again without rotating the A axis at all. I manually changed the toolpath file to increase the rotation to 900 degrees but it still only went about 50% of the way around the blank cylinder. I have attached photos and screenshots of the drawing for you to compare.

I am wrapping the X axis around the Y and have edited various post processors and tried creating one from scratch but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The toolpath on the controller screen displays that A needs to move 360 degrees but it doesn't tell it to it AND ITS MAKING ME PULL MY HAIR OUT!

I know its not the pulses as I marked the top of the stock with my tool, spun it 360 degrees manually and the cutter touched back down in exactly the same point. I also know that the work is not slipping as its in a 3 jaw chuck tight and the tool isn't being given the opportunity to even cut anything.

I have attached the drawing file, toolpath file, screenshots and photos of the completed piece in the hope that a genius swoops in and tells me how stupid I am being!
Attachments
Axiom_HHC_4TH.PP
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Spiral Column.png
Spiral Column.crv3d
(619 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
5.png
6.png
7.png

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: 4th Axis Rotation Problems

Post by Rcnewcomb »

How do you set Z-zero for your rotary jobs?
What are your rapid and move speeds for your rotary?

I downloaded your post processor and CRV3D file.
I saved the toolpaths with your post processor.
I don't see any problem with the cove toolpath.
The job is setup with Z0 at the center of the cylinder. A 44 mm diameter (22mm radius) means any Z number below 22 will cut material.
On line N30 it rapids to A0 and the Z is 42mm above your center
On line N50 it moves the Z to 19 -- so cutting 4mm into the cylinder
On line N60 it should rotate 360 degrees, which is what you expect for a cove.

Code: Select all

(Filename:  Cove_1-Cove)
N10M03S24000
(Cove)
N30G00A0.000Y50.000Z42.000
N40G00Z32.000
N50G1Z19.000F2000.0
N60G1A360.000F4000.0
N70G00Z42.000
N80G00Y358.000
N90G00Z32.000
N100G1Z19.000F2000.0
N110G1A0.000F4000.0
N120G00Z42.000
N130G00Z42.000
N140M05
N150M30
%
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

CutnCreate

Post by CutnCreate »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:01 pm
How do you set Z-zero for your rotary jobs?
What are your rapid and move speeds for your rotary?

I downloaded your post processor and CRV3D file.
I saved the toolpaths with your post processor.
I don't see any problem with the cove toolpath.
The job is setup with Z0 at the center of the cylinder. A 44 mm diameter (22mm radius) means any Z number below 22 will cut material.
On line N30 it rapids to A0 and the Z is 42mm above your center
On line N50 it moves the Z to 19 -- so cutting 4mm into the cylinder
On line N60 it should rotate 360 degrees, which is what you expect for a cove.

Code: Select all

(Filename:  Cove_1-Cove)
N10M03S24000
(Cove)
N30G00A0.000Y50.000Z42.000
N40G00Z32.000
N50G1Z19.000F2000.0
N60G1A360.000F4000.0
N70G00Z42.000
N80G00Y358.000
N90G00Z32.000
N100G1Z19.000F2000.0
N110G1A0.000F4000.0
N120G00Z42.000
N130G00Z42.000
N140M05
N150M30
%
Thanks for the reply Rcnewcomb. I set the Z zero to the center of the work piece and the rapid moves are 4m/min i am running the job quite slow as I wasn't sure if the rotary Axis could move that fast. However the C Axis can move at 8m/min.

Also I don't have any problem with movement in Z or Y. the tool cuts to the correct depth and the Y axis travels the correct amount but the C axis doesn't turn enough.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Since the G code generated looks correct there may be some additional commands that the RichAuto controller needs. I've noticed similar threads on other CAD/CAM vendor forums regarding the RichAuto controllers.

It looks like some people have found solutions over on CNCZONE and might be worth asking over there since this is pretty controller-specific.
- Randall Newcomb

CutnCreate

Post by CutnCreate »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:23 pm
Since the G code generated looks correct there may be some additional commands that the RichAuto controller needs. I've noticed similar threads on other CAD/CAM vendor forums regarding the RichAuto controllers.

It looks like some people have found solutions over on CNCZONE and might be worth asking over there since this is pretty controller-specific.
Hi Rcnewcomb. Thanks again for replying. Do you have a link to the question you saw on cnc zone. I can't seem to find the thread on there.

Thanks Again

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I did a search for RichAuto rotary on CNCZONE. Here is one of the threads: Aspire post processor (pp) for generic 6090 CNC using RichAuto B58 4th axis rotary
- Randall Newcomb

CutnCreate

Post by CutnCreate »

So for anyone else who has this issue. I have discovered the problem but not a solution.

I don't know if this is a controller or motor problem but what I have found is as follows. The controller views both 0 and 360 degrees as the same value. If i put in 100.00' it rotates that amount no problem, however, if I put in a value greater than 180.00' this then becomes a negative movement as the controller wants to rout via the shortest path ie. 185.00' becomes -175.00' or 359.00' becomes -1.00'. I haven't figured out how to change this yet, whether it can be done via a parameter or not but I will update once I have a solution

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Thanks for the update.
- Randall Newcomb

wood_fly
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro V5+Jetch Laser+Rotary

Post by wood_fly »

Just something you might try with this controller:
From the main coordinate screen, press MENU and select the System Setup.

Scroll down and choose the Function Configuration option. (listed as just Function Confi on screen)

Locate the RT Type parameter. It's probably NEAREST..highlight and press the Delete button.

Then select the “NORMAL” option.

*You should receive a prompt from the system that shows that you have modified the system configuration*

Reboot the machine and run a test.

With any luck, everything works.

Fabnet2000
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Fabnet2000 »

I'm having this exact same problem, but with the RichAuto A18-E Controller and cannot find the parameter to change. I've also looked at the post process itself and nowhere can I find a "Normal" or "Nearest" setting.

has anyone resolved this issue?

any help would greatly be appreciated.

andy

cueistic@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Lintcnc

Post by cueistic@gmail.com »

Hi All, I hope everyone's having a good time using their CNC's!! I'm new to the forum and this is my 1st post. I have been using Vcarve for over a year now and trying to get my rotary going now. I am having a problem getting the 4th axis to operate with the proper axis. input meaning I can enter the G-Code for a design I have created, it accepts it all very good and once I hit Run the 4th axis just turns in one direction constantly. I am using MACH3 controlling software and I am not sure my settings are correct. I have a 48" x 48" CNC with the 4th axis labelled as the "A" axis, the problem I am having is that my rotary just constantly spins around and does not rotate in both directions as per my drawing or input so to speak.
What I am trying to do is create a pocket into round tapered objects to accept custom inlays I will be cutting after the pocket is created. I am a Custom Cuesmith here in Ontario Canada and own Cueistic. So far I have done quite a few plain cues but now that I have purchased this awesome software I want to be able to offer inlays to my customers and having the rotary operational will allow me to step into this area.

If anyone could please assist me with the proper Mach 3 Settings, or any other advice for my machine, I would really appreciate this. I know there needs to be further information so I will leave this open for further input. Please ask me any questions necessary to get this going properly. Sorry if this is vague too but I hope to get the info needed. Thanks in advance as well!! Rod...

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb