first cut on rotary and embedding a pocket

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
kwmelcher
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR16

first cut on rotary and embedding a pocket

Post by kwmelcher »

I finally got my rotary and made my first cut this afternoon. Turned out well and I learned a lot about best ways to feed. I have 2 questions:

1) My rotary runs in the Y direction. When I start the job and If I have moved the spindle off of the rotary axis to zero, the Y does not return to zero. Is this a post processor issue or a "feature" since the rotary would expect that X never changes.
2) I am using a Magnate 7554 Barley Twist and making legs. I would like to embed a pie cut out into the leg after the barley twist so that I can slide in 3/4 in ply wood. Is there an easy way to do this. I know that some of the corners will have a radius, but would make assembly of this table very easy.

Example of the barley twist and my STL with the pie shape cut outs attached.

Thank you
Keith
Attachments
barley twist.jpg
STL of pie.png

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Re: first cut on rotary and embedding a pocket

Post by eph210 »

In the header section of your post processor you can add a move to X0 Y0 A0 to ensure the spindle starts in the right place. You could also add the move to the new section part of the post processor so that it goes there after any tool changes. There is a post processor editing guide that should explain how to do it.

The pie cut outs are easiest to do as slots cut in flat 2D. Keep the A position fixed and design the appropriate size for the slots in X and Y. If you design them to start outside of the leg and all Z moves are kept outside, they should not force the A axis to rotate.

Euan

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question. On the machine you should set X zero at dead center of your rotary axis. Y zero can be anywhere along the line between the centers of the tailstock and the headstock at the same location that was set in the software. I usually set X zero Y zero in the center of the material in Aspire.
Steve

kwmelcher

Post by kwmelcher »

Thank you for the feedback. In thinking through the pie cut, I am thinking that if I can create a job that centers a bit above the pie and only rotates the A in a 90 degree arc back and forth as the plunge is increased, I could create the pie. Would i need to do that by just creating the G-code from scratch?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

create a job that centers a bit above the pie and only rotates the A in a 90 degree arc back and forth as the plunge is increased, I could create the pie.
Just make a pocket that is one fourth of the width of the blank (w/4=) with a cut depth equal the radius of the blank.
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 4.01.26 PM.png
Attachments
PiePockets.crv3d
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 156 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Ah! Now I see.
Steve

kwmelcher

Post by kwmelcher »

Randall, thank you. I tried that and it will work perfect. Going to try my sample cut tonight.