The Maple Ring finish

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

The Maple Ring finish

Post by sobfu »

It may not be a rotary question but then again.
I am attempting to make a Rock maple ring on the rotary axis and for the most part it did work and at first glance I thought that it was fine but when I take a picture it looks like it could do with some micro sanding which is probably out of my skill set with my eyesight.
I machined it with a 0.5mm tapered ball nose in 1 pass. is there anything I could be doing to improve the finish unfortunately I don't have smaller tapered ball nose than 0.5mm.
Am I meant to be spraying a coat of urethane or similar before machining.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Attachments
maple ring.jpg

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: The Maple Ring finish

Post by garylmast »

It turned out well, however it will be very brittle and easy to snap in two. You may try a different material like an acrylic solid surface, such as Avonite. You will get a better finish without the fussies. Look at Randall's project: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35274 and look how nice that turned out.

Gary

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sobfu »

Thanks Gary I have seen Randall's work with Avonite and they look fantastic which inspired me to try and source some Avonite here in West Australia with no luck but there must be an alternative so I will keep on looking. I have also heard of people using Corian for rings which I am guessing may be similar. Would you know if Avonite is durable enough to take a few knocks without too much damage.

Dave

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I machined it with a 0.5mm tapered ball nose in 1 pass. is there anything I could be doing to improve the finish unfortunately I don't have smaller tapered ball nose than 0.5mm.
You will need a smaller bit for better detail. Check out your options on eBay Australia.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.39.15 AM.png
Would you know if Avonite is durable enough to take a few knocks without too much damage.
Both Avonite and Corian are very durable.

Again it looks like you can find smaller pieces of Corian on ebay Australia
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.38.18 AM.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sobfu »

Thanks Randall I did a bit of searching today and after a few phone calls I found a kitchen place that uses Corian and is willing to sell the off cuts.
To be honest I din't know it existed here as I have never seen or heard of any kitchen with a Corian counter top.
I am looking forward to making something this weekend.
I will try something with the bits I have but I will definitely need to order some smaller bits soon if I intend to make some rings.
The Maple ring was made with a long cylindrical piece of wood on the 4th Axis but the game has changed with a Corian flat panel but the finish will be worth the pain of working how to do it.

Dave

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For feeds and speeds on Corian or other solid surface start with the settings you would use for hardwoods such as Maple.

You can also cut it and glue it together into a rod to machine on your rotary.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

As to sanding, you might want to consider the 3m radial bristle sanding discs that Michael Tyler mentions in his projects. You use 3 of them on a mandrel with a dremel type tool. I usually use the #80 and #120. You can find information about them on page 4 of his latest project - fish dish.
https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... h/FishDish