Making a pen blank with a hexagonal shape in Vcarve Pro

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
superwrench
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 extended

Making a pen blank with a hexagonal shape in Vcarve Pro

Post by superwrench »

I have tried this many ways, and searched here, and have come up empty. I make pens, and I want to make a six sided, or hexagonal, pen barrel with the 4th axis in Vcarve Pro 10. I have tried pocketing, tried putting a hexagon inside of a circle to get the depth measurements, all failures. Could someone tell me if this is possible to do, and if so- provide a detailed instruction sheet or attach a file for me? I just can't wrap my head around what is wrong. Thanks.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Making a pen blank with a hexagonal shape in Vcarve Pro

Post by TReischl »

What is failing?

You are not telling us what you are actually doing in the software, just that it is failing.

Describe your process so that we know where to start. Quite often a failure is one simple step that is missed. So instead of all of us guessing what you are are and are not doing please be more descriptive in the steps you are following. Another good thing to do is attach your file so we can what you are doing first hand.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Yep it is possible.

Draw a hexagon that is the size you want the cross section of the pen to be. Select it, and if you are in a rotary job then there is an Unwrap icon under "Transform Objects" that will unwrap the hexagon for you which you cal then use with the moulding toolpath to make your hex shaped pen. If you want it tapered or otherwise modified then you'll need to consult the wise modelling experts here which I am not yet a member of. Of course if you just want part of the pen hex shaped and you can lathe turn the rest of it this should work. My sample started with a 5/8" diameter cylinder.
hex pen sample 4D.jpg
hex pen with round tapered ends.jpg
4D
Attachments
hex pen sample 4D.crv
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

superwrench

Post by superwrench »

Thank you both for the replies. 4DThinker, that explanation is what I was trying to follow in my previous attempts. I don't have the unwrap option, looks like it is in Aspire only, not VCP. :cry: After looking at your file, I see I didn't put any "legs" on my wave pattern. Does the length of the legs make a difference, do they determine the depth of cut- or does the wave set the depth? I will try the wave pattern again making sure to add legs and have all the "waves" connected.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.

superwrench

Post by superwrench »

I tried again using hints from 4DThinker's file attachment, I am still failing. Here is the file I am working with. What am I doing wrong? I am using VCarve Pro 10.022
Attachments
Hexagon body.crv
(872 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

I'd love to help, but you have a later version than I so I can't open your file. The legs were attached as part of what the unwrap tool did, although I don't think they are needed. They do make sure the end cut is exactly the diameter you wanted though. Without the legs the result depends on whether you set a start depth and what the actual diameter of your cylinder is.

I you can tell me the diameter of your pen blank and how long it is I can post a .DXF file of the wave vectors needed. BTW the moulding toolpath also needs a guide line to indicate where the start cutting the wave profile from.

4D

superwrench

Post by superwrench »

By pulling most of my hair out, I think I stumbled on the end result. I still am having problems understanding the direction of the profile vs the rail direction. It always seems to be 90 degrees from what I see in my head. Time to watch more tutorials again, I thought I had it figured out before. This blank is based on a .75" diameter and a length of 3". Thanks for the help all.
Attachments
Hexagon body 2.crv
(726 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Here ya go.
Hex .75x3.jpg
Attachments
vectors for 6 sided 3 inch blank.dxf
(23.33 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

superwrench

Post by superwrench »

Thank you!

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I only have Aspire so I won't post my example. Here is the setup I used using your first example.

Rotate the profile and move it to the bottom out of the way
Delete the legs
Ungroup the profile and join all three parts
Draw a line along the bottom edge the width of the profile
Run the moulding toolpath.
Attachments
Hex moulding setup.jpg
Hex Toolpath preview.jpg
Hex Toolpath preview-2d.jpg
Steve