what software do i need

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
monty62

what software do i need

Post by monty62 »

i have almost finished my 4th axis and i dont know what software will be best. i am currently using vcarve pro i have had a quick look at the wrapping. will i need diferent sofrware to be able to turn tapers and spheres etc. any help would be appreciated and maybe a nudge in the right direction.
regards les

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Re: what software do i need

Post by kilrabit »

Since you already own vcarve, use it to try to do all of the things you want to do. A lot of the 4 axis programs out there use code similiar to wrapping for a rotational 4th axis. Four axis programs start at about 2500 dollars for cheap, 4 to 10 thousand average, and up to about 24 thousand for some with all of the whistles. These packages come with 5 and 6 axis toolpathing also.

So..., I am hinting that it can get expensive, Vcarve does a lot of things with just the wrapping. When you get to where you cannot do something, just ask on this forum, and someone might just have the answer.

Roy

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

a spindle with a given contur can be made with vcarve... with a little extra work even you can put on model... i mean on straight parts of the spindle...

for easy work, aspire makes everything you... also with aspire you can make your own model...

cadprograms makes 5 axis output even, what you might can not use on a 3 axis router...

viktor

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Cheapest real 4th axis CAM that I know of is other software. 995 euros

I have used the demo. It is very capable.

They did have a hobby user deal going which was really cheap, but that ended.

"Wrapping" is limited but there is still a lot that can be achieved with it.

Look at this thread,

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6449

This was written before Vectric software included a wrapping post processor and refers to CNCWrapper.

However all the same principals apply, and all the examples can be done just as easily within the later wrapping capable versions of Vcarve and Aspire.

Aspire has some definite advantages with wrapping, but if you read a bit further into the thread you will see examples of work done with Vcarve Pro.

Greg

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Monty,

I've been looking into a 4th axis for a while but am not ready to take that plunge and have only done a little research on the software. I vaguely recall ZBrush exports compatible file for use with Aspire (not sure which format). I was not able to find anything to support that on the ZBrush web page but the software is only $700. I have viewed a few tutorials online and it appears straight forward enough.

If anyone has more information please add???
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

monty62

Post by monty62 »

thanks guys for your advice. i havent taken any cuts yet but its going, i have run the cylinder toolpath that is in vcarve pro and all seems well
many thanks and best wishes les

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post by lovebugjunkie »