It allows for continuous rotation while indexing. For some designs this technique is much faster. ->Video Example
For other designs is may be slower than standard 3D Rough/3D Finish.
I've attached Milo Scott's PDF file describing the steps in detail.
- Set up a rotary job with a 3D design
- Select the spiral layout gadget.
- Set the Spacing between strands to the stepover for your ballnose bit. In this example I am using a 0.125" ballnose bit and want a 10% stepover. The spacing between strands is 10% of 0.125 = 0.0125. In my example it says Total Number of revolution for spiral = 2236.99
- Select the vector that was created from the spiral gadget.
- Choose the Profile Toolpath.
Set the cut depth to 0
Profile On the vector
Check Project toolpath onto 3D model