Rotary machining models

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Rotary machining models

Post by Leo »

It it possible for D&M to make something that is real 3D for a rotary axis.

When I saw the GONKS I thought WOW - that would be so cool on a rotary axis for a full 3D.

Faces on the front - arms on sices and errr back side on back

The log as well
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary machining models

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would like to see that as well.

Chess pieces and table legs would be great additions for rotary in the Design and Make store.

In the meantime there are lots of interesting STL files at MyMiniFactory. For example, they have a number of scans of sculptures from the Louvre museum.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Todd,

I'd still like to see a product search widget added to the DesignAndMake home page so I don't have to navigate to the store to search for a design. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hey Leo and Randall...
Thanks for leaving the questions and comments.

OK... we don't have any immediate plans to offer more rotary content on D&M... we did try it with the rolling pins - https://store.designandmake.com/search/search?q=Rolling - with mixed opinions on if they were easy for customers to use. These are .V3M files that you wrap... so if you were thinking this sort of thing... what might the objects be? I suspect newel posts, pillars, candle sticks... that sort of thing?

Of course, these are a bit different from offering full 3D models... and the issue with that is building a library of models that work well on CNC... and that we own or have the rights to sell. This would be a big undertaking... but still be possible if there was a demand for it. Always interested in what our customers would like to see added to D&M... so again, what might these things be? Chess pieces (nice one)... any other stuff that you find would be interesting or you have looked for and can't easily find? or if you can find them they are really not suited for rotary CNC.

As for the search from designandmake.com... an interesting idea Randall... I'll ask about that and see if it is possible and how much work it would take. I'm not a web developer... so it may look easy... but not be so easy... LOL
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Knomes - like the Gonks
Chess Pieces
I was thinking if a paper towel rack with a fancy roll
Christmas tree
Christmas ornaments
Some small statues to make a manger scene
Lamp bases
Pencil holders like cups - just the outsides
Complete rotary fish - whale - shark - dolphin - cardinal
I have often looked for these things.

Lots of turners do stuff on a wood lathe, but ONLY round
A variation of round lathe work that only CNC rotary can do

I am sure as the day goes on I will think of more cool stuff

Some sort of marketing survey on the forum - a poll ????
Last edited by Leo on Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Greengecko
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23

Post by Greengecko »

Much agreed -- we're always looking for some rotary projects on D&M and are very disappointed to find none.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Saw this post and I will be adding some model table legs and cross brace spindles to my website. Maybe my models can help someone.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Thanks. I have a rotary setup but never had time to use it yet. Just need some time. :)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I am not trying to throw cold water on this. . . just sharing what I have observed over the years when it comes to rotary axis stuff.

My first encounter with rotary was when I was writing CAM software for industrial lasers. A competitor added some rotary software to their offerings. Instantly every last one of our salesmen claimed that it was the next big thing, the market was HUGE, if we did not do it we would be left in the dust, ad nauseam. Frankly, I was on salary, did not matter to me one bit what we developed. Fast forward two years. Customers had been buying rotary axis with their lasers and the software to control them. When we surveyed them the usage came in at just over 2%. Not 2% of their jobs, but 2% of the customers had actually used them at least once. To be fair, there was one large company that pretty much only did rotary work. Rotary was "sizzle" not "steak". Sales folks love to sell "sizzle". Makes their jobs easier.

I will be the first one to say that doing rotary is totally kewl, I love it. Have one on my machine. Use it a couple of times a year max. Would I use it more if there were more models? Probably not because rotary on a 3 axis machine is extremely limited in capability. No undercutting for one. Second, the tool is always pointed at the center, that results in tapered walls where one does not want a tapered wall.

One of my passions is hand carving, particularly caricatures. There is no way those would turn out on a rotary. I have modeled "roughouts" and did them on the rotary. Even then, there were areas I could not reach because of the limitations.

Soooo, I think doing stuff like newel posts, architectural items would work out fine. If one digs around on line there are tons of models for those those things and downright cheap. They cut just fine.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns