Looking for Native American/Indian STL, For VCarve 11

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: HD500

Looking for Native American/Indian STL, For VCarve 11

Post by BKeith »

I'm trying to find a nice Native American design I can download and cut on a Shark HD500 with VCarve 11 Desktop, preferably on a horse. It has to something that looks nice. I can find a lot of bust carvings but most don't even look like an Indian, at least not one I would hang one my wall. my wife saw a video of a guy doing a Napolean on a horse that looked great and asked if we could do one like that of an Indian, basically swap Napolean for an Indian. We have our whole den done in Native American artifacts and civil war era items and she though that would look nice in there.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Looking for Native American/Indian STL, For VCarve 11

Post by scotttarnor »

Have you checked out 3dwave.us?
Scott T

@scottscnc

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

All I could find was an Indian Girl. No horse though.
On Grab Cad. You need to sign up to it but lots of 3D models of all kinds on there.

https://grabcad.com/library/indian-girl-2

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

Thanks, Yes 3DWave has a couple I might do, but not the "one" I would really love to find. They have a buffalo hunter that if the buffalo was not the overpowering feature in it, would be nice. If I had a 3D graphics program like Aspire, I would probably get it and see if I could scale the buffalo down, but doubt VCarve Desktop would even begin to let me do that.
JimCad, looked at those, they were pretty much the same as I've been finding on most sites I can find.
Something like this with a Native American. https://3d4all.online/products/napoleon-3d-stl-file and no, I wouldn't expect to find it that cheap.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I use CGTrader a lot, and in fact I was looking at a model I might do. https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model ... ne-warrior

Gary

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

That's really nice. I see that's a 3D Print and I'm not sure I can do full 3D like that on my machine but it would be nice to do that one. I would probably have to figure out how to do it two sided and flipped over.
For the $2.50, I downloaded the Napolean STL, just to see what my software will let me do before paying $30 or more for one to find out I can't use it.
Can you convert 3D Print to work on CNC Router"

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Can you convert 3D Print to work on CNC Router"
You download them as stl files. You will need to slice them in separate layers. More cases than not, each layer will be a double-sided cut. You can lookup a lot of my posts, i.e. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36127 that started from downloads of stl files.

Gary

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Design and Make has a half dozen or so. Excellent quality and designed for Vectric products.
Steve

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

garyl, I might give it a try. Might be looking for help also.
SteveN, I had looked at those and they were not really what I'm really looking for.

I downloaded the $2.50 Napolean just to play with. Went great and made the TAP file for it.

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

I downloaded the Indian on the horse in STL, took about 20 minutes. There are 15 files, each fileis a different piece of the puzzle. there are alignment pins and holes where the thing has to glue together as each piece is made. Pretty much looks like it was made for a 3D printer where you print it and glue it together. It will import into Vcarve 11 desktop, however I don't think I will be able to do anything with it. I looked at a couple of pieces, said screw that and closed it out. That's beyond my skill level for now.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I downloaded the Indian on the horse in STL, took about 20 minutes. There are 15 files, each fileis a different piece of the puzzle. there are alignment pins and holes where the thing has to glue together as each piece is made. Pretty much looks like it was made for a 3D printer where you print it and glue it together. It will import into Vcarve 11 desktop, however I don't think I will be able to do anything with it. I looked at a couple of pieces, said screw that and closed it out. That's beyond my skill level for now.
You're right as far as it was designed for 3-D print, but that don't matter. You can put all the parts together before you slice them, or slice off each tab and add it to the part it fits in. Actually, having all the separate parts makes it easily to work with, means less slicing. After all the parts are machined you got to glue them together anyway. When you bring in each part, i.e. the horsehead, the bottom insert hole won't be there anyway.

Gary

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

Yea, I thought about I could just make each piece and glue, BUT! I don't have a clue as to what scale each piece is and if you made it the size the pieces downloaded at, it would be huge. I gotta get a lot smarter about this thing before I tackle that project. The mask for the horse and the blanket are two items that would be tough to do. I can leave the mask off the horse, but not sure how the rider would fit if I left the blanket off. There are a couple other trim pieces that are going to be a bear also, but if and when I do it, I will chase those rabbits then. I showed it to the wife, and she loved it, so I will eventually have to do it if I can get it scaled right. My router only cuts about 13x25 and I had to downsize the horse half a bunch to get it to fit in that.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Why it is so HUGE is the model is in millimeters and your job setup is in inches. You can change the model size when importing or once imported you can go in the Set Size under Transform Objects. If you use that option, in the Width and Height, change to % and use that same amount for each of the parts so the total transformation will be the same.

Gary

BKeith
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BKeith »

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I dang sure don't have much with thts program. I'm not doing anything with it for a while, but when I do, you seem very knowledgeable in doing these things, so I sure hope and can lean of you for some help then. I've been hours just trying to figure out why it keeps insisting my cutting depths are deeper than I have them set for. I do a cut of 0.120" to make a pocket to put a couple of holes and use the depth of that pocket for the start depth and after I add four evenly spaced stepped cuts, allowing for the .120" of the relief cut to go down to 0.3" and when done I get a warning, I'm cutting deeper than my material thickness, Ii says my holes are a lot deeper than the total number the steps add up to.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Without seeing the file it's hard to tell, however my first indication would be your Material Setup needs to be correctly set.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG