Tea tray Design

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Tea tray Design

Post by Aussie »

I am currently designing a tea tray the base will be resin filled model as below.
African.JPG
The idea is to use the border of the above for the front/back and sides
African Border.JPG
I will need your advise and assistance to "tile" this along the lengths of the tray sides, how do I cut the model and tile it?

Thanks as always.
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Re: Tea tray Design

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Ron!

Ohhh this will be a good one!!!

I'd be happy to give you a hand, just need to know if you are using VCarve or Aspire?

VCarve - Level clipping would be my choice here with possibly a Mirror Mode to help get the proper length.

Aspire - I would crop out the bit you need and then tile that part.

Let us know the software you have and I think we can work something out... :)
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Ron, I am curious (confused??) Will you be making the base a solid layer if resin and then doing the vcarve of the model...or something else maybe? In any case I look forward with anticipation to see the final results!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Post by Todd D »

will be watching this as I have wanted to do similar, use design and size appropriate for project,

I use vcarve pro, not trying to butt in, lol

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

Aussie wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 am
I am currently designing a tea tray the base will be resin filled model as below.
African.JPG

The idea is to use the border of the above for the front/back and sides
African Border.JPG

I will need your advise and assistance to "tile" this along the lengths of the tray sides, how do I cut the model and tile it?

Thanks as always.
Ron
Thanks all,

I am using Aspire.
The base that will be carved is River Redgum and I expect the model height to be approx 13mm, once the tray is assembled I shall fill with clear resin. I did a test on a dish model a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with the results the detail of the carving was very clear.
Next choice will be dove tails or mitres with splines for the sides joints ?

Thank you Todd will have a play with the editing tools in Aspire to make a tile..... will let you know if I run into problems.

Regards,
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

Hi Todd,
Have a problem editing...
How do I reduced the green side to match the red?
Thanks
Ron
Edge.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Ron...

Ahhh... the power of Aspire!!! Great to see you have sorted out the cropping/chopping up of the frame.

So to remove the angle of the frame I needed to take a closer look at the actual profile of the frame, The two flat edges are truly flat and the center part (with the triangles on it) is the only part that is angled. Also, it looks like the angle is a simple straight angled wedge... no curve. If it had a curve or fancy shape I would have done this differently.

So here are the steps I would use to remove the angle:

Step 1 and 2 - Create a matching wedge component to be subtracted away. Easily done with a simple 2 rail sweep. See the vectors I created for the rails and the cross-section in the image below...

Steps 1-2
Steps 1-2

Step 3 - Create the component using the 2 Rail Sweep option (only available in Aspire). See the image below but make sure you note all of the settings. Important - We do not want the cross-section to be scaled with the width of the vectors, just in case they are not perfect and the space between them changes. Also, it is a Subtracted component with the wedge starting on the top rail and getting deeper as it transitions to the inner rail. If you have the rails selected in the wrong order or the start point of the wedge at the wrong end the resulting component will be angled the wrong way.

Step 3
Step 3

Step 4 - Adjust the Shape Height of the wedge component till the angle is perfect and the center section of the frame is flat. In the image below you can see most, if not all of the angle is removed.

Step 4
Step 4
From there the rest is up to you. I would create a new layer, create a component from the composite relief seen in the 3D view, crop out the flat border on the inside, rebuild a new border (simple flat plane component), bake that all together, and then crop out the part I want to tile to create my new frame. "Top Tip" here is to crop a section that makes sense to tile and still have the mitered corners.

I did want to create a video for you but it would have been a temporary thing and would go away over time. If you have trouble with the process... fire me off a PM and we can work out a way to get a video to you.

Let me know if this helps...
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com