Merge 2 components into 1

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

monochrome
Model of CNC Machine: Kronos Robotics 4x8

Merge 2 components into 1

Post by monochrome »

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Aspire and am trying to use the 3D modeling tools to make a 3D object. If I create something like 2 halves of a sphere (just an example), is there a way to combine them into one sphere?

thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Merge 2 components into 1

Post by Adrian »

Not with something like a sphere as the program can't do undercuts so you would get a dome sat on top of a circular pillar. You would have to cut them as two separate pieces and glue them together.

The combine mode is what you need to set if you want two models/components together.

monochrome

Post by monochrome »

Adrian,
Thank you. I've been trying the different combine modes but haven't found the right combination to make it work so my shapes can be merged into a top and a bottom like the way the two-sided leaf tutorial works. I'm looking at the 3D tutorials and essentially trying to take something like the trout model, make a mirror copy of it and merge it to the top to make a whole 3D shape. Any suggestions? I'm trying to do this all in Aspire since I'm just beginning to learn how to use Rhino and find Aspire much more friendly.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

monochrome wrote:Adrian,
Thank you. I've been trying the different combine modes but haven't found the right combination to make it work so my shapes can be merged into a top and a bottom like the way the two-sided leaf tutorial works. I'm looking at the 3D tutorials and essentially trying to take something like the trout model, make a mirror copy of it and merge it to the top to make a whole 3D shape. Any suggestions? I'm trying to do this all in Aspire since I'm just beginning to learn how to use Rhino and find Aspire much more friendly.
You can't do it. As I said you can't create undercuts. You have to model each side separately and then flip the material as per the leaf tutorial or cut and glue.

monochrome

Post by monochrome »

Thanks, Adrian and Frunple. That's just what I was trying to figure out. I thought if I could model the two sides in Aspire, I could combine them like in the leaf tutorial. I had a feeling that might not be possible with Aspire but wasn't sure. Looks like I'll be working on Rhino tutorials!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

All depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you're trying to make a 3D model that will only ever exist in the virtual world then you are going to need something like Rhino. If you want to make a real word model like the leaf tray then that is definitely something Aspire can do.

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Post by mike.davison »

I don't have the training wheels off my CNC machine or Aspire yet so this post is as much a question as a suggestion.

Aspire does seem to be quite powerful for elaborate/advanced milling on a flat surface and has some rotary capabilities, but doesn't handle arbitrary 3d (or higher) milling. Looks like Vectric's entry into this space would be Cut3d. True? I believe Cut3d, combined with the 3d CAD program of your choice (Rhino and Sketchup have been mentioned in this thread) would allow you to create a sphere on a flat, 3d CNC machine. Worth considering?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No you still can't do it in Cut3D. None of the Vectric programs will allow you to perform an undercut on material from one position. Cut3D still requires you to manually rotate the material and cut the other sides.

To create a sphere from the flat without repositioning the material requires a five axis CNC.

mike.davison
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II with rotary

Post by mike.davison »

Adrian wrote:No you still can't do it in Cut3D. None of the Vectric programs will allow you to perform an undercut on material from one position. Cut3D still requires you to manually rotate the material and cut the other sides.

To create a sphere from the flat without repositioning the material requires a five axis CNC.
Looks like in my rookiness I didn't express myself clearly. My assumption was that one would manually rotate the stock and cut the sphere from 2 sides. There are clearly more sophisticated ways to mill a sphere (rotary/4axis or 5 axis and appropriate 3d CAM), but Cut3d looks like it would do the job at a relatively low cost so might be worth considering.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Yes, but the OP's original question was how to create the model, not how to machine it.
You can machine both sides of a 3D model in Aspire (with some work), bit you can't create the model.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com