Losing the insides of some letters when imported.

Discussions and examples relating to the Design & Make projects for Aspire

Moderator: Todd Bailey

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Losing the insides of some letters when imported.

Post by GeneMpls »

I have used a dedicated sign program for 15 years an have a fair proficiency in it (FlexiPro) so I do most of my designing in
that program and export .eps files to Aspire 4. When I do that and try to model the text components I get a result as pictured.
All programs use different terminology for similar functions of course and I am new to Aspire having used Vcarve for a year or
so- but I want to 'compound' the inner line with the outer lines of letters that are pierced- 'A;B;P;R- etc'. I am sure there is a
good way to do this but I am having trouble figuring it out. Thanks Gene
Attachments
Knutson MKIII office trailer 9.3.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Losing the insides of some letters when imported.

Post by Adrian »

Hard to say without seeing the actual file but it looks like you're creating a VCarve toolpath with only the outer parts of the letters selected. You need to make sure that, for example, you have the outer part of the B and the two inner parts selected when creating the toolpath.

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GeneMpls »

They were both selected- If i fiddle with it (cutting the insides out of the outsides) I can sometimes get it to work. This was modeled
using the create shape from vectors tool- it doesn't seem to recognize the inner vector? Thanks Gene

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not 100% what effect you're going for. I usually don't use the create shape for letters. Looking at those letters I'd do them with a VCarve projected onto the 3D surface.

I can't tell what's going on on without seeing the actual CRV3D file, other people might be able to help more. It might be worth re-posting your question in the actual Aspire section rather than here as not many people read the Design & Carve section as it's meant for support for the Design & Carve add-ons from VectorArt3D rather than general Aspire issues.

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GeneMpls »

When I am doing prismatic letters I do do it in Vcarve with a V bit- but say I wanted soft rounded tops on the letters. That said I think
I figured out the problem. I was building a smaller file to post and imported the same text and it comes in with 2 layers of vectors...
I did not notice that last time and selected both sets of vectors and that seems to be the problem. Thanks for taking some time with
me today- this is why I bought Aspire, the great community. Gene

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Hey, a fellow Flexi User! I've used FlexiExpert since it was CASMate. I also do my artwork in Flexi, then export as .eps to VCarvePro. On occasion, I have the same problem you're having. It's usually been 2 vectors stacked on top of each other. Once in a while, for some reason, the export to .eps then import to VCP creates an open vector. So, check for open or stacked vectors on the inside parts.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle