Yes, another new user with a question...probably a dumb one

rbigelow1

Yes, another new user with a question...probably a dumb one

Post by rbigelow1 »

I'm just getting started with a homebuilt CNC using Mach 3. In trying to make some simple experimental parts, I find that the X axis wants to go to it's own idea of where to start the first cut. Instead of going to -.05, it goes to -.1233, how is it making that decision?

I really like Cut2D. Its an exceptionally user friendly program. Like many here, I intend to push it to its limits! But you can see I have a long way to go. :mrgreen:

Thank You,
Richard B.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Yes, another new user with a question...probably a dumb one

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Richard,
Have you done any motor calibrating with Mach3? It sounds like your X axis may need to be calibrated to move the correct distance, and you can do that with the Axis Calibration utility on the 'Settings Alt6' tab.
Look just above the red Reset button where it says Set Steps per unit, it is self explanatory just follow the steps to test and correct your axis. I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

When you zero your machine to cut, be sure all of the axis numbers on the first screen all show 0000, click the zero button to the left of each axis designator, and start from there. You might also refer all to home using the reference home next to the zero button. This will make sure everything is zero before starting your cut. After doing this always remember to rewind the gcode to match your new settings.

Vectric Apprentice

Post by 820 »

Just a note on using the Calibration, when I used it the Distance Mode would change every time from Absolute to Incremental on the General Set-up Page.
I had to change it back to Absolute since entering a axis "0" in MIDI would result in no action.

Not a very good explaination but I hope that you get the gist. It may just be the way that my set-up is as I've not seen any other mention of this.