MACH3 users

Ed Lang
Vectric Apprentice

MACH3 users

Post by Ed Lang »

I would like to speak with a few of you who are using Mach3 on CNC Routers. Either DIY, bought or converted machines.

I am not a Mach user so my questions will be very basic.

Thank you
Ed
ShopBot PRS alpha
Corel X4
Universal Laser M-300 50W & VLS4.60 50W
Aspire2.5
Photo V-Carve

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: MACH3 users

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Ed,
I use Mach3 for a controller but I have a small Syil SX3 mill I use it with. If you have questions about Mach3 and Vectric software I would be glad to try and help. If the questions are more CNC router specific I am sure there are many other users who will be glad to help.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi: I'm using Mach 3 on my home made cnc router and a kit made controller from Hobby cnc. I've had a few problems but all proved to be hardware issues and nothing to do with the Mach3 program. Be glad to answere any questions you may have . Norm

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Hi Ed,
I use Mach 3 on an EZ-Router. Fire away.
Marv

Ed Lang
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ed Lang »

Can I create a file with the origin in the lower left in Aspire, toolpath for Mach and then cut the file in several different places on the table?

In ShopBot control I just move the machine to the location and run the same file again in 2d offset mode.

It is very easy to write my own file to jog the machine to a location, cut the file, jog to the next location and cut the same file again....

So how easy is it to do this in Mach?
ShopBot PRS alpha
Corel X4
Aspire2.5
Photo V-Carve

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Ed,

It's as easy in Mach, just a little different procedure. I don't do much of that but it isn't difficult at all. Perhaps others who use that more can comment.
Marv

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello Ed,
This is possible in Mach3 and I had looked into it a while back. I believe I found some good information about doing this on the Mach support site using the search engine.

http://www.machsupport.com/downloads.php

Sorry I don't recall the steps involved and if no-one replies with a better answer I will probably have time later to respond with a more concise answer. It involves using origin offsets and I don't remember the code involved off hand.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

the simplest way, to move on the position as the next part start point, zeroing x and y and start over...
if you were expert of gcode just use G92 for new startpoint and with a soubrutine call just run again the part, as much as you need...

also you can copy part in vcarve, aspire and calculate all part as one project...

thanks
viktor

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

mach 3, wincnc, any basic gcode, vectrics file is relative to xy unless file is moved on workspace and toolpaths recalculated, lets say i am running a 12x12 file with a left and lower xy, i would run file then simply enter say y13 based on a larger table footprint and material (gantry goes to directed position) and reset xy and run file again, i would think shopbot is the same way,

i have purchased another machine and while i have wincnc on my other two i am thinking i will upfit this one with mach so i can learn it better, i have used it and it is a pretty basic and capable controller, the biggest reason for wincnc in my world is the ability to use other programs while machine is operating or being online with support or another machine owner, mach cannot do this.

jim
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Origin offsets mentioned by Wes are good to use when you have several jigs on your table or several different jobs you regularly do. Just place your material and make sure the offset G-Code is in the file for the part you are machining then go at it.

The procedure Jim mentioned is the one I use the most. You can even throw an odd shaped piece of material on the table, load the file, jog to the limits of the file to make sure it will fit on the material, set X and Y zero and cut the file.

I rarely do multiples of a part but when I do it is just as easy to duplicate what I need in Vectric software (V-Carve or Aspire) then run the file that way.
Marv

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard

Post by cabnet636 »

wincnc has the ability to create multiple preset position settings for jig and other uses will mach do this?

jim
James McGrew

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Yes it does Jim.
Attachments
Mach Offsets.JPG
Marv

Ed Lang
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ed Lang »

I run multiples of one file. I also have fixtures on my table.

With ShopBot, I can create a file in Aspire, V-Carve PRO, PartWorks etc... and have the origin set to the lower left corner. I then toolpath for that one part. I know where the lower left corner of each fixture is so I create a file that knows where each fixture is and cut the same part file over and over in what ShopBot calls 2D offset. VERY easy and quick.

For example-

J2 12,12 -moves the gantry to 12" in both X and Y
FP name of my part file,,,,,2 -this will cut my part file in 2d offset. No need to rezero X and Y
J2 15,15 -moves the gantry to 15" in both X and Y
FP name of my part file,,,,,2

I think you get the idea how simple it is in the ShopBot control softare.

I see a screen shot was posted while I was typing this post. Looks like Mach will allow a fixed number of offsets, as ShopBot does not have that but allows any number of offsets by my example.

Thanks.
Ed
ShopBot PRS alpha
Corel X4
Aspire2.5
Photo V-Carve

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

Ed,

I posted the screen shot. What it doesn't show due to lack of space on a computer screen is that there are I think 58 offsets that can be used even though only 6 are shown. Not an unlimited number but plenty for most users. It does the same thing that Shopbot control software does, just in a different code. I think it is just a matter of personal preference as to which one is better or more functional. I know there are many many people who swear by Shopbot software as being much easier than G-Code, and there are many many who swear by Mach's use of G-Code. I am one of the latter simply because I learned G-Code before I ever knew about Shopbot. I don't think it matters which anyone uses as long as it does what you want it to do. One feature I do like about Mach is an application called Screen 4 which lets the user create different screen sets, add buttons, LEDs, change button names and functions and other features suitable to their own desires and needs. I do not know if Shopbot has that capability or not.
Marv

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard

Post by cabnet636 »

we can rework and setup screens any way we need them in wincnc as well, i have two completly different ones on the two machines. like i said i am going to try mach on the new machine.

jim
James McGrew