VTransfer Move Units

dopauls
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve Pro

VTransfer Move Units

Post by dopauls »

Good evening. I have been working with VCarve Desktop and an slowly learning. My question relates to VTransfer. When I first start the homing sequence and other such actions, the moves are all apparently in metric, i.e. +20 is a move of 20 mm. After I run a gcode program in imperial units, a +20 move becomes 20 inches, not 20 mm. Is this normal? Is there a way to override this and keep to one system of measurement?

Second question, is there a way to pause the VTransfer while running, like to put on the forgotten dust boot, and then continue running the program? None that I can see.

Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: VTransfer Move Units

Post by Adrian »

I don't know for sure but it would make sense that it would behave like that. Why save files in different units? You can mix and match any units you like within the VCarve file. It's the post processor you use when saving the code that determines the units used and it automatically converts everything to the one standard. A lot of the GRBL type machines expect to run in metric all the time.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just to add to what Adrian has said, when designing & toolpathing you can use imperial, metric or a combination of the 2 if you want :lol: :lol:
When it comes to actually saving your gcode files it is generally best to use the units that your control software is set to use so in your case when saving files use the metric post processor rather than the imperial post-processor, the program will handle all the conversions for you so no extra work on your part :lol: :lol:

I don't use v transfer so no idea about your second question but I would think that there would be something within your actual machine control software that would allow you to pause a job rather than something within V transfer :lol:

dopauls
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve Pro

Post by dopauls »

Thank you all for the helpful inputs. If I understand correctly, if I used the metric post processer for my system (XCarve) instead of the imperial post processer, the software will make all the conversions automatically and I should no longer have this issue, correct?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

From your initial post it sounds like the control software for your CNC machine is set up using metric units. Using the metric post processor when saving your gcode files should ensure that the units remain the same & you shouldn't have any further problems :lol: :lol: