Communication error with GRBL

davet354tfd
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Communication error with GRBL

Post by davet354tfd »

I'm not sure if this is a V-Carve, Picsender or computer issue. Have posted this in a couple forums. Hopefully I can get an answer.

Been running a carve today. V-Carve said it would take just under 2 hours. I have carved longer than this before.
But about 45 minutes into using Picsender the carve I get a "Unknown problem has been detected Communicating with GRBL"
This happened 3 times today on the same carve.
I finally broke it up into 8 separate carves to get it done.

I finally turned off my wifi.

Computer is updated.

I have had this happen 1 or 2 times in 2 or 3 years.

I will check the cables.

But I have no other ideas on what to look at/for to eliminate this problem.

Thanks

Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Communication error with GRBL

Post by Adrian »

Check your power saving settings. Some settings can mess with USB ports.

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

I would bet that this has nothing to do with VCarve or Picsender.

I have a grbl-run machine, powered by an Arduino Uno. Both grbl and the Uno hate EMI and static. Eliminating both of these can be and usually is a very frustrating exercise. If you machine has been running well until recently, one thing to look into is the humidity in your shop. Every year during heating season, I have to fire up a humidifier in my shop to stop machine freezes. It seems that the static build up in drier air is more than grbl/Uno can live with. I have every part of my machine grounded. I still need to bump up the humidity.

Also, as Adrian mentioned, make sure that all the Windows power saving settings, particularly those related to USB ports, are turned off.

Just my experience. YMMV

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have dedicated computers for CNC control, those computers are not connected to the internet, only have the control software installed & all the power-saving functions are either turned off or disabled. You don't need anything fancy for CNC control & nothing high-spec. You can pick up older machines for nothing, well I have anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

As well as power saving functions other things that may effect communications are static & electrical interference as has been mentioned & other software you have installed on the machine that may decide to check for updates & auto-update if they find something.
Have a look at your startup menu to see how many programs will auto start when the computer boots up, most of them don't really need to, well for me they don't anyway :lol: :lol:

davet354tfd
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by davet354tfd »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have made sure the Wifi is turned off.

Made sure all the power saver settings are now set to never.

Went into the USB settings and turned off the "Turn off to save power" option.

Screen saver is none.

I have also put Ferrite cores on all the data and power cords. (I'm an amateur radio operator, W8RID)

Everything was already grounded.

I have an older computer that I will be setting up to become my CNC computer and get my personal laptop back.
Will get into that in a few weeks.

So, hopefully this will eliminate any issues from here on out.

Thanks

Bob

neilgill
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8+ with Rotary

Post by neilgill »

I used to have this issue and did all you mentioned until I used "APC Automatic Voltage Regulator, LE1200, Line-R 1200VA". It is not a UPS but regulates the power to smooth the voltage. Worked for me. This was all on a Shapeoko original machine which was not insulated or grounded in any way.

Neil

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I also added a ferrite bead on every cable feeding into my controller board on my Shapeoko 3. Also grounded the dust collector and spindle. Electrical noise is the destroyer!
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA