Latency Test

nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Latency Test

Post by nikonwalker »

Hi Guys,
I have had my Probotix Asteroid machine since 2017 , so far so good .
Tonight I was cutting out some circles from ply , after the 6th one the machine seamed to get very confused as to where it was on the board.
I then got an error message saying I need to run a Latency Linux Test.
I googled this but still not to clear on why after 5 years I need to do this, I am concerned it will change a setting and I will never be able to use the machine again.
It will not let me continue until I do.
Can someone please just simply explain why I need to do this
Terry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Latency Test

Post by Adrian »

Probably best to ask on a forum specifically for your machine/controller software as that issue isn't really anything to do with the Vectric software and only a small proportion of the user base here will be using the same setup.

Sounds to me as though your control software communicates with the machine over a network connection and it's taking too long for the data packets to make the round trip. There can be all sorts of reasons for that such as other software on the PC doing large updates (including Windows), physical damage to the cable etc etc.

The test should point you in the right direction. I can't see why it should change anything that would stop you using the machine. As it is you can't use it anyway. It's extremely, extremely doubtful that it would do anything that would permanently stop you using the machine.