Semi Auto Tool Change

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Semi Auto Tool Change

Post by jfederer »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:19 am
Without seeing the file and/or toolpaths in question I would expect that the 7/32 drill and the 1/4" endmill are set to the same tool number.
After using my CNC for about 3 years I've finally clued in that watching tool number consistency is important! I usually use an ATC Post Processor, (my machine doesn't have auto-tool changer, but it will prompt me for a manual change) and was kind of puzzled that sometimes the machine would pause and prompt me for a tool change, sometimes not. I always save multiple tool paths for the same tool into single files, but I've been relying on what I know is the same tool, ignoring that sometimes I had it specified as different tool numbers, sometimes now. This answers that confusion for me.

Note to self: remember to make your tool numbers consistent and different for different tools!
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

You can also run the "Tool Renumber" gadget. After setting up all of the toolpaths, run the gadget before saving. It doesn't change the tool number in the database. Only in the project.
Steve

Shop Dog
Model of CNC Machine: Custom

Post by Shop Dog »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:19 am
Shop Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:53 pm
I just selected a post with G-Code with ATC and got the error shown in the attached.
Without seeing the file and/or toolpaths in question I would expect that the 7/32 drill and the 1/4" endmill are set to the same tool number. Something that doesn't make sense on an ATC.
You are correct! :D Both the 7/32 drill and the 1/4" end mill (for the outer cur) are tool #1. Do I just edit the drill as an example and select a tool number not being used in this particular file.

Thanks,
Steve

Shop Dog

Post by Shop Dog »

Leo wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:14 pm
I suppose a bit of creativity and ingenuity could come up with some creative post processing. I don't have much experience with post editing but I do have a lot of g-code creation experience and Macro-B programming experience.

Ordinarily a tool change command is M6 - BUT - that is only a macro with a bunch of command built in. Unless you have a ATC machine with a tool rack and tool touch off built into the M6 it's not gonna work.

However, with some imagination and programming logic I am guessing a "semi-automatic" tool change routine could be programmed into the post.

(end of first toolpath)
Move to a tool change position
M0
Manually change tool
Cycle start
Move to tool touch off position
Do tool touch off ---- automatically
resume cnc toolpath
(begin next toolpath)

I know -- that is REALLY rough description but the idea should be there.
LOTS of thought would need to be added in.
LOTS of testing and LOTS of trial.
I am CERTAIN there would be LOTS of errors to work through.
I don't have a tool rack, but do have a touch off built in and attached in a fixed position on the table. I am still in the final connectivity stages, so the touch off isn't connected to the controller yet, but will be soon.

I really appreciate the explanation and it does make sense to me. I am awaiting a device called ISS-05 from CandCNC which I have now learned will come with the PP that I am seeking for Vectric which I will need to import. I believe that the logic sequence that you have described above is what I will have once I receive the new setup and get it all connected. I am told that they are in the final testing stages and it will be released soon.

I hadn't realized that I would be obtaining the PP from them along with the hardware. :o

Thanks again,

Steve

Shop Dog

Post by Shop Dog »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:30 pm
You can also run the "Tool Renumber" gadget. After setting up all of the toolpaths, run the gadget before saving. It doesn't change the tool number in the database. Only in the project.
Ahh, that answers that question.

Thanks,

Steve