Had to do it

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Had to do it

Post by rig gap »

After running my home built CNC for about ten years, it finally decided to give up. After testing everything, motors, drivers, etc. I came to the conclusion the main controller board was no longer doing it's job.
I know there has been some discussion about Centroid controllers and Gecko 540 drivers, and after hopefully doing enough homework, I bit the bullet and upgraded from Mach 3 to Centroid.
Just asking the question... if you have done the same or similar upgrade, are you happy with your choice. I've seen comments about smoother, faster processing and wonder if it's really true.
Not wanting to start a battle, just want the truth from those that have done this as I've already ordered all the components to do it...Thanks in advance.,

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Had to do it

Post by martin54 »

Probably should have asked the question before ordering all the kit :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't have any personal experience but have read a lot of good things, could be wrong but I think Centroid are one of Gary's choices with his Building & upgrading of CNC Machines so they can't be a bad choice :lol: :lol:

Gecko also seem to get good reviews, I looked at them when I did my machine conversion a few years ago but they were not that easy to get hold of in the UK plus what put me off the 540 was the fact that the drivers were all on one board & I prefered to have individual drivers so went with the leadshine am882 instead which was easier for me to get hold of in the UK :lol: :lol:

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Thanks Martin...I did ask on another forum and I did do some research, but I just wanted to see if anyone on the Vectric forum had any experience with the Centroid Acorn/Gecko G540 combination....The parts I ordered started coming in today so now I get to do some testing and rebuilding.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

rig gap wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:11 pm
Thanks Martin...I did ask on another forum and I did do some research, but I just wanted to see if anyone on the Vectric forum had any experience with the Centroid Acorn/Gecko G540 combination....The parts I ordered started coming in today so now I get to do some testing and rebuilding.
Best of luck with it, I have an old Denford Triac that needs to be converted, really should get on with it, got most of the parts I need to get it up & running just haven't actually got round to doing anything with it yet. Not really sure what to do about the spindle so I really should get on another forum & ask some questions myself :lol: :lol: :lol: