Mach3 Smoothstepper Gecko G540 Speed Control issue

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Mach3 Smoothstepper Gecko G540 Speed Control issue

Post by dbrook »

I have been using my Windows 7 based computer via the parallel port to control a Gecko G540 to run my small cnc router. The x,y and z move as expected and I can control the speed of the spindle with the M3 and S10000 commands as expected. Last week I received my ethernet Smoothstepper board and have followed the Warp9 instructions to the letter in connecting the G540 and loading the associated plugin/software. After the installation I can move x, y and z as normal but when I issue a M3 S10000 or any other speed command the spindle energizes and rotates at about 3 rpms. When I check the VFD output voltage from Pin 8 on the G540 I read 0.7 volts and it does not change when I issued different speed commands. I have spent two days searching online and watching numerous Youtube videos where people are successfully using the G540 and controlling spindle speed. My setup in Mach for the G540 is as follows:

Motor Outputs - Spindle is enabled, Step Port 1 Pin 14, Dir Port 0 Pin 0
Output Signals - Output #1 Enabled Pin 17 Port 1, Charge Pump Enabled Pin 16 Port 1
Spindle Setup Motor Control "Use Spindle Motor" Checked and "PWM Contorl" checked, PWM Base Freq 50 Min PWM 0
M3 assigned to Output #1
Motor Tuning Settings - Steps 1000, Velocity 50, Accl 2, Step Pulse 2, Dir Pulse 2
Spindle Pulley Number 1, Min Speed 0, Max Speed 18000, Ratio 1

In that I have spindle control through the parallel port on my computer but don't when I have the Smoothstepper connected it has to be something no configured correctly for the Smoothstepper board. I have attempted to post a question on the Warp9 forum but the moderator has yet to post it after my submission two days ago.,

Is there something in the Smoothstepper plugin that needs to be set or something else in Mach3 I am missing?

If any of you are using an ethernet Smoothstepper with a Gecko G540 please share how you have gotten spindle speed control to work. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Dan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Mach3 Smoothstepper Gecko G540 Speed Control issue

Post by martin54 »

Have you tried asking this question on the mach support site? There are still a lot of people using mach3 & the support site was pretty active last time I looked. You will have more chance of sorting the problem there as there are more likely to be people with your exaxct set up or the knowledge to help. :lol: :lol:

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dbrook »

I appreciate your feedback. Good suggestion. Earlier today I got a response on the Warp9 forum that solved my problem.

Dan

NewbieDave
Model of CNC Machine: X2 Mill

Post by NewbieDave »

Hi Dan,
It would be helpful to others if you would post what the fix was. It's not much help to newbies if you just say you got it fixed. :?

Thanks,
Davo.

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dbrook »

David,

Thank you for pointing out my failure to include the solution for the G540 speed control problem. My apologies for not thinking to post the solution.

There was an issue with the xml profile file I was using with Mach3 to control the Gecko G540. I received a response from Andrew on the Warp9 forum pointing me to his fully working profile for the G540. I loaded the profile and made the necessary changes for my particular ports and pins arrangement and I am happy to report that it solved the speed control problem. The link to the xml file is below.

https://warp9td.com/index.php/bob-vendors#MotorDrivers

Dan

NewbieDave
Model of CNC Machine: X2 Mill

Post by NewbieDave »

Hi Dan,
Thanks for posting that info, I'm not using a SmoothStepper myself but it will probably help someone else.
Again, Thanks. 8)

Davo.