mach 3-smooth stepper running out of data..???

Sawman101
Model of CNC Machine: area51

mach 3-smooth stepper running out of data..???

Post by Sawman101 »

hey folks, i have had my cnc router machines stop in the middle of a project many times. the router and/or spindle will keep running but machine stops in a random place.
there is usually a white screen that comes up and says something about smooth stepper running out of data.
my question is, how can i safely restart the process from where it stopped so i dont lose the time and material involved? i have restarted several times with success
but not quite sure what i did. i have also crashed several tools trying to restart as well. did i mention i have had minimal training with these machines/software?
thanks for any help!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: mach 3-smooth stepper running out of data..???

Post by Adrian »

Try this. It sounds like the issue you're having - https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-m ... nOutOfData

If you're not familiar with setting up PC's for CNC software use the most likely scenario is that you have some other processes running like screensavers etc that shouldn't be. That link explains all the things you need to check.

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

I used to have that also.
Two things that casued this was:
Heat. My smoothstepper is connected to a GeckoDrive G450, and that got hot. A fan that pushed air under the geckodrive fixed that.
Changing feed rate above 100% while running. That is a big no-no.
From their FAQ:
With Mach3, NEVER run your Feed Rate Override above 100%, only use it to slow down your feedrate. If you want to go faster, regenerate your G-Code from your CAD/CAM software. Running your FRO above 100% will cause jerkiness and misshaped circles.

Make sure that you run Mach3 version 3.043.062

Sawman101
Model of CNC Machine: area51

Post by Sawman101 »

thanks guys