Tool numbers

Post Reply
Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Tool numbers

Post by Mikehell »

So, I thought I'd get all organized and renumber my bits in groups. Flat end bits (non metric) are 1-9. Ball nose 10-19. Metric flat bits 20-29, etc..

So after hours of getting a weird error of "not enough axes defined" .I find out that you can't use bits numbered 20-29 for typical 3-axis work, they are supposedly "reserved" for a different axis?!?! Is this a shopbot quirk?

What other bit numbers can I not use? I need to know because I think I just used up my allotment every of every cuss word in the book last night. A 2-hour job became a late night - earrly morning gig. Ugh.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:59 pm
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY
Location: Shelby Township, MI, USA
Contact:

Re: Tool numbers

Post by ger21 »

It's a shopbot thing.
Looks like tools 20-29 are for the second spindle (A axis?)

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showth ... n-use-quot
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Mikehell »

ger21 wrote:It's a shopbot thing.
Looks like tools 20-29 are for the second spindle (A axis?)

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showth ... n-use-quot
Yep. That's the post I finnaly read last night after pulling my hair out and decided to Goole the issue.

User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Adrian »

I changed my shopbot routines years ago so I could use any tool numbers I like as I don't have drill banks, dual heads etc. Easy enough to do. One of the things I really like about the Shopbot software is how easy it is to customise everything to your own way of working.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Mikehell »

Adrian wrote:I changed my shopbot routines years ago so I could use any tool numbers I like as I don't have drill banks, dual heads etc. Easy enough to do. One of the things I really like about the Shopbot software is how easy it is to customise everything to your own way of working.
Where do I make this change??

User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Adrian »

In the MTC sbp files in the SBParts/Custom/MTC folder.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Mikehell »

Mikehell wrote:
Adrian wrote:I changed my shopbot routines years ago so I could use any tool numbers I like as I don't have drill banks, dual heads etc. Easy enough to do. One of the things I really like about the Shopbot software is how easy it is to customise everything to your own way of working.
Where do I make this change??
.

Can you tell me what I need to change, or send me your modified files?

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Mikehell »

Emailed ShopBot and they say this shouldn't be done. ???

User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Adrian »

They would say that because they don't want the support headaches. If you know what you're doing and understand the consequences there's nothing wrong with doing it.

User avatar
IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 pm
Model of CNC Machine: The Ultimate Woodworking Machine
Location: Marquette, MI, USA

Re: Tool numbers

Post by IslaWW »

Adrian wrote:They would say that because they don't want the support headaches. If you know what you're doing and understand the consequences there's nothing wrong with doing it.
I hate to be Cap't Obvious here, but if you did know what you were doing, it would be more than obvious what to change and why. Unfortunatley there are a few more files that need to be modified, those that turn the spindle on/off etc. Since you are looking at the MTC file, it is apparent that you dont have an ATC. So why isnt 19 tool numbers per file enough enough for you?


Most control systems use a limited number of tools. Usually less than 10, ATC's the number of holders on the machine. Being anal about tool numbers doesnt apply to CNC. (Been there, done that) :oops:
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
The Ultimate Woodworking Machine
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

User avatar
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Posts: 10245
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:19 pm
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Tool numbers

Post by Adrian »

I rewrote nearly all the routines that came with my Shopbot years ago as there were loads of bugs, missing features (automatic Z zero depending on material setup, safe Z auto set etc) and the code was very poorly structured. Being able to use whatever tool numbers I wanted was just a by product of eradicating the many other issues with the software at the time.

User avatar
IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Posts: 1291
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 pm
Model of CNC Machine: The Ultimate Woodworking Machine
Location: Marquette, MI, USA

Re: Tool numbers

Post by IslaWW »

Adrian wrote:I rewrote nearly all the routines that came with my Shopbot years ago as there were loads of bugs, missing features (automatic Z zero depending on material setup, safe Z auto set etc) and the code was very poorly structured. Being able to use whatever tool numbers I wanted was just a by product of eradicating the many other issues with the software at the time.

Adrian...

They still are just as quirky. My comments were not for you as you are more than capable of making the changes.
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
The Ultimate Woodworking Machine
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Post Reply