Anyone Use Wincnc?

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Anyone Use Wincnc?

Post by usLEDsupply »

We are looking at getting a Shopsabre IS 510 and they say is uses WinCNC but i have only ever used Mach 3 and don't see many options or plugins
so do any of you use it? how do you like it
is there a way to adjust the feed rate speed on the fly?
or use a wireless play station/xbox controller to move the head around the best thing ever (i may have found a way to do this)
or even a webcam for positioning?
if seems like these would be pretty common things but i can't find much on youtube so i am wondering if anyone knows?
anyway if you have used it or even a Shopsabre i would love to hear what you think

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Anyone Use Wincnc?

Post by 4DThinker »

I haven't used it, but they have plenty of info about winCNC here: http://www.wincnc.net/.

One screenshot I saw appeared to have a slide that could have been to adjust feed speed on the fly.
They also have screenshots of it set of for laser cutters and plasma cutters. My guess is that it is configurable much like Mach3 and LinuxCNC.

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Techno Isel 3'x4' Gantry III

Post by Tundraman »

usLED,
About 8 years ago I visited the Shopsabre factory, was very impressed. We nearly bought a machine from them for a business we were going to start, but that never worked out. It was down to them and Camaster.

I have never used Wincnc, however that is also what Camaster uses. There are a large number of users on this forum that have Camasters and a number with Shopsabres.

My understanding it is among the best control software in use today. Based on information I have read, all of the things you want to do are possible with Wincnc.

You could go the Camaster forum and do some reading as well as ask for an opinion of the Wincnc there or check the CNC zone forum.

Good luck,
Scott

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

usLED...
I have 2 current machines running WinCNC and have owned 5 total. Very good and stable with the highest number of useable features available, especially for commercial users. There are so many built in features, I don't think there is a need for plugins. Do you have something in particular in mind?

Yes, you can adjust both feedrate and spindle speed on the fly.

They offer 2 pendant type controllers. One is a wired serial cable that is very programmable. The other is Bluetooth wireless that gives you access to all the screen features and buttons and has an mpg jog wheel. Also has display of machine and user coordinates. Multi level programmable to your needs.

I have used a webcam for positioning and diagnostics, but not on a day to day basis. WinCNC has an Opti-Scout option that will located registration marks and even stretch/skew the cut to match positioning of the graphics. Also cut DXF with cutter comp.

One of the best "pros' to WinCNC is their branded I/O products. They can provide OEM matching, opto isolated, top of the line breakouts with up to 30 inputs and 20 outputs. 6 channels of simultaneous motion approaching 100Kbits/sec to allow high resolution encoders. The best I've seen in PC control.

Disclaimer: I do not work for WinCNC, but I do buy their products, along with those from other control providers, as I retrofit CNC machine control for a living.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

Have a ShopSabre running on WinCNC for over ten years. Very reliable and stable. ShopSabre has always been there for help when needed.
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I use it,,,almost 9 years....
No complaints.

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Post by usLEDsupply »

Thanks Guys i was worried but it sounds like it should be fine
IslaWW I have used a webcam for positioning and diagnostics, but not on a day to day basis. WinCNC has an Opti-Scout option that will located registration marks and even stretch/skew the cut to match positioning of the graphics. Also cut DXF with cutter comp
did you have to do anything special to get the web cam to work with it or was it plug and play?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

us...
Not to worry. WinCNC is the "gold standard" for PC based control. Once you use it you will be hard pressed to revert back to anything else.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

I have received a number of emails regarding the I/O board I spoke of above. This is the "mac daddy" of I/O or breakout boards
Inputs are self sensing 5-24vdc, high or low. 30 of them with led for active state. 20 outputs, 14 with SPDT mechanical relays, 6 solid state.

All I/O is fully buffered and opto isolated and board has onboard 5VDC power supply (2A) A good number of feature or function set by onboard jumpers Dedicated ESTOP circuit. 100-240vac power requirement

Pic below is an ATC setup in progress, on my assembly bench.
Attachments
DSC00411.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com