Dedicated computer for CNC Shark

mikede1025
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Dedicated computer for CNC Shark

Post by mikede1025 »

Hello to all. Very new guy here so no laughing. I purchased my Shark simply because I thought it was the neatest thing going in woodworking. I have all the other woodworking toys and am fairly good at them so now I'm ready to take on a little finesse, you might say. Besides, it looks like fantastic fun.

Just for now I'm puzzled about the dedicated computer for the Shark and the Vcarve software. My first impression was that I needed something that would be graphics intense for running Vcarve and 3D software but in some of the Q and A I've seen here so far, I see some of you saying bare bones is good.
Instead of each of you saying what you have (because I couldn't relate to what something is just by it's name or model number) would a few of you maybe just tell me what you think my minimum of RAM should be. Do I in fact need a graphics intense video card? A fast processor? Things like that. I'm really lost about this and I really don't want to over-buy something.

I appreciate the help,
Mike

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Dedicated computer for CNC Shark

Post by RoutnAbout »

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum and a world of fun.

Here is Vectrics FAQ page with all of the Software minimum requirements.

And it's best to have a dedicated computer for the cnc.
Not limited to just these
  • Turn off screen savers
    Turn off hard drive hibernation
    No Internet connection
But these could cause a glitch or interference with the cnc controller.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

mikede1025

Post by mikede1025 »

[quote="RoutnAbout"]Hi Mike and welcome to the forum and a world of fun.

Here is Vectrics FAQ page with all of the Software minimum requirements.

Don, thank you so much. That was exactly what I needed and that answer was so basic and so simple. I was obviously making waaaaay too much out of what I thought I needed.
I'm sure I'll be hollering back once I actually jump into the water. I'll see how far I can get now just with the documentation I was given and the online tutorials.
Thanks again,
Mike

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Glad to help Mike,
If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask, there is a massive wealth of talent and knowledge on this forum.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I bought the cheapest PC I could find.
Then I decided I didn't like the dusty screen, I got so I demoted/promoted my old laptop to the Shark (much easier to pack away when not in use) and am using the new el cheapo for my Vectric work only.

Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

mikede1025

Post by mikede1025 »

[quote="Wolffie"]I bought the cheapest PC I could find.
Then I decided I didn't like the dusty screen, I got so I demoted/promoted my old laptop to the Shark (much easier to pack away when not in use) and am using the new el cheapo for my Vectric work only.

Thank you too, Wolffie. But wow, I think I just caught something in your reply that I think Don tried to mention as well but it went over my head. Are you telling me now that I need two computers?? Instead of me asking questions that I may not even know how to phrase properly yet, let me just tell you what I do have and what my setup is and then you can correct it if you think it's wrong or if I'm wrong.

I have a decent desktop computer in the house which I use for everything just like everyone else. I planned to locate the Shark in my shop which is attached to the house. It's close enough that my WiFi will reach from the house to the shop so no prob with internet. Now, I was kind of under the impression that I needed a dedicated computer so that it could live out in the shop with the Shark and I also thought that I would be running the VCarve software on that same computer. I thought that we had to use the computer hooked to the Shark for any and all designs and such and then turn on the Shark and away it goes. (ok, not that simple, but you get it).

Now I think I just read that you are actually using a no frills computer for the Shark itself period. And then, you are using yet a different computer to run your design software on. If that's the case then, are we basically doing our design work (VCarve) let's say inside the house on our regular computer and then taking our code out to the shop via flash drive or other and plugging that into the Shark's cheapo computer? I think if the company would put out decent instructions all of us newbies wouldn't have to wear our ignorance on our shoulders so much. Good grief. I can't even get past the setup portion. I haven't even turned on the machine yet.

So, ok guys, I guess I'm not there yet. I thought I was. Try to straighten me out please.

Mike

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Sorry for the misunderstanding Mike.
You do not, necessarily, need 2 computers for the Shark.

When I was travelling, I used a laptop for my internet connections.

I bought a dedicated PC for the workshop, I do, incidentally, also have WiFi internet connection in the workshop.
It was only when I decided that I didn't like the dusty screen that I decided to use my now unemployed laptop instead.

I also do a lot of other crafts, so my office PC was getting a bit crowded.
Hence I dedicated the cheap PC to woodwork and CNC work and use the big PC for office work, then I can network my models to the laptop in the workshop.

I have too many USB keys and could never remember which one I used for what :oops:

Some people reckon I am a computer addict :lol:

As far as instructions go, I have asked several times for some interactive instructions for raw beginners and get told again and again that I should have 2 monitors. Unfortunately my 2 PCs do not support dual monitors so that is out of the question.
As well, dual monitors do not help raw beginners who don't even know their way around the software.
If you have any questions, PM me and I will help as much as I can.
I haven't had my Shark long enough to have forgotten what it was like to be a beginner :)

I must hurry to add that most of the members here are only too keen to answer questions, regardless of the asker's knowledge or lack thereof.
It is a great bunch of people here.

Cheers
Wolffie

Edit:
I just realised what you were asking about the dedicated computer.
Yes, you do need one in the workshop that the post processor can run on.
That way you can see what is happening on the CNC.
I too thought at first that I could run it from a USB key but that is just not possible. The USB can only transfer the model to the computer in the workshop.
You do not need to do your designing in the workshop, I have just loaded my vectric programs on my laptop, then when I do a design, I send the complete file to the laptop so that, in case I want to change something, I can do it in the workshop instead of going back to the house.
Cheers
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I do NOT spend a lot of money on a computer - ever.

You can get a nice refurbished computer at bestbuy for well under $400.

You can get a used computer for $100

You can get a hand me down for $50.

They will just about all work.

The key is - don't have anything installed except the control software for the Shark, and whatever vectric program you want.

On my CNC machine - I have only Mach3 - nothing else. It is a $50 bare bone computer. I don't program on the CNC machine.

I have a seperate computer in my shop that I program on. It is a really simple $100 bare bone computer.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mikede1025

Post by mikede1025 »

By golly, I think that I simply made too much of a simple thing. OK, let's see if I'm on track now.

I have a good computer in the house which is going to stay there.
I have my Shark in the shop without a computer at this time, and that is going to stay there.
I see now that it takes a bare bones computer to spend it's life along side the controller with the machine. Therefor, that bare bones special is NOT where I want to run my Vcarve software for design.
I will run the Vcarve program from the house computer.

Now, if all those statements are correct, I think I just need to know then, how do I get whatever I designed or programmed from the house computer to the bare bones computer in the shop running the machine? One of you mentioned just networking it over to the shop computer. Are you simply saying that you allow one computer to read certain files on another computer? What other way or ways is there to get your program or design from house to shop?

Oh, and this is to Wolffie-----I appreciate your offer of allowing me to PM you. I'll take you up on that and hope I don't make a pest of myself.

Mike

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Mike

You got it in one :D

You cannot be a pest.
If I can convey some of what I have learned I would be only too happy.

Regarding the networking, all my computers are connectied to my WI-FI router as an internal network, this way they can talk to each other.
Before that, I simply copied the file to a USB key, inserted it into the shop computer and either ran it from the USB key or, if I wanted to be able to use the key on the main computer, I simply copied it again to the shop computer and ran it from there.
That way I could run the job in stages, even over different days if it bacame too late and I could work on another model in the meantime.

One more thing.
I never combine the toolpaths into one file. I prefer to run one at a time, that way the runtime is shorter and, if something comes up, I only have to run a short file, do whatever I have to do and then run the next file when I am ready.

Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

mikede1025

Post by mikede1025 »

OK, Wolffie. I think I can proceed from here at least as far as setup goes. We'll see how far down the line I can get before confusion takes over again. Thanks for all the help and i'm sure you'll hear more from me. But for now, I'll go by the book and the tutorials and the instructions step by step. Learn the jargon and so on. I really think the jargon is what confuses us the most. Kind of like taking up a foreign language in school and from the very first day they speak only in that language. therefor, you understand nothing. hahaha.

Mike

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Yeah WIFI network

If you don't have WIFI - then you can hardwire it.

I program on a different computer than my CNC computer.

When I post code - I post it directly to the CNC computer in a folder that I saved on the CNC computer desktop called CNC programs.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Leo wrote:Yeah WIFI network

If you don't have WIFI - then you can hardwire it.
Of course you can but it depends largely on how far away your shop is from the house, I could not imagine me using a 40 foot cable.
I just happened to have WIFI so I used it.

I program on a different computer than my CNC computer.
So do I, it just happens to be in my office not in the workshop.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Wolfie - I don't have good WIFI.
Because I use cheapo computers I had to use USB WIFI "antenea".
They work but not great.
I ran the cables when I built my shop but never hooked them up.
I am thinking about doing the hardwire for better performance.
I am about 30-40 feet away.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Whichever way you do it and it works for you, that is great.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit