Z axis problem

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Z axis problem

Post by pro70z28 »

I've been having this problem for awhile but have always been too busy to get to the root of the problem.
Here's the problem, if I'm not supplying enough info. please let me know what else is needed to diagnose.

I set the "Z" height off the workpiece with the "Z" plate & the screen shows +1.00 when it's set. (I seem to remember that number used to be +.5" I think).
Then when I start the job (rough pass on a 3-d sign) the tool raises to +1.6", then heads to the first cut.
When it stops & the "Z" axis plunges it stops at +1.25" and starts an air pass.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to make a cut, I have the tool cut depth set at .25"

My guess is I just have a setting messed up somewhere along the line but I can't for the life of me figure out what I did to change the setting.

Any ideas, or any missing info I can provide to get to the bottom of this.

I've got a couple 2'x6' cedar signs I really need to get out fast.
(of course this type of thing always seems to happen when I'm in a deadline situation)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I tried to post this in the ShopBot forum, but can't log in, been one of those days. :cry: I'm using the ShopBot software to cut the job. Machine is a ShopBot PRT96

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: Z axis problem

Post by BrianM »

Hi,

Are you sure you have set z zero to the surface of the material in Aspire? this is the result I would expect if the job was programmed for z zero on the machine bed and the tool was zeroed at the material surface - I've done this in the past :oops: .

Brian

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

I have to plead ignorance. I can't find a place to set the "Z" axis in Aspire doing a rough in pass.

That brings up another point though. When I do a profile cut I have the same problem. I've been getting by, by entering a negative value in the "Z" height box. If i leave it "0" it does an air cut just like it's doing with the 3-d pass.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

When you set up your material size, there is a box to check that indicates whether you will be setting z to the top of your material or the bottom of the material (table top). Check to make sure you are setting the z to the same place checked in the material size screen.

Angie

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

Thanks Brian & Angie, that was it. I figured it was something simple, but I looked right over that one.
I appreciate the help.