Tool Database...

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000

Tool Database...

Post by NewAtThis »

Two questions about the tool base, if I may...

1. How do you stop new tools have the parameters of another tool saved as the deault for that type of tool. All the checkmarks in all the tools are unchecked, and it still does it!

2. Have I missed this, or are there different fields for the cutting diameter and the shank diameter.

Thank you
Be wary of taking the advice of someone who thinks he knows what he's doing, and don't listen to me!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool Database...

Post by Adrian »

1. What checkmarks are you referring to?

2. The software doesn't need to know the diameter of the shank so it's the diameter of the cutting portion of the bit. The largest part in the case of v-bits and tapered bits.

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

1. This bit...
Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 19.01.15.png
2. OK, that makes sense, but I'm a bit confused about "...largest part in the case of v-bits and tapered bits." Is the length of the cutting edge calculated by the software, based on the angle an maximum diameter, then? I might need to change those settings, if that's the case!
Be wary of taking the advice of someone who thinks he knows what he's doing, and don't listen to me!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

1. That is the default settings for the naming of the tools. It's nothing to do with tool parameters within the main tool form.

2. For v-bits and tapered tools the angle, diameter and flat section (where applicable) are used together to calculate the maximum single pass cutting depth of the bit. If you've used a shank diameter of 1/4" for a v-bit that is 1/2" in cutting diameter then that is wrong.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

To add to this, I maintain that the stepover percentage for V bits is meaningless. The response from Vectric was that it is there for other tools, and therefore should be provided for a V bit.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

Thank you, on both counts :D

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:17 pm
1. That is the default settings for the naming of the tools. It's nothing to do with tool parameters within the main tool form.
Sorry, I understand that, but every time I add a new End Mill, it automatically names it as an Amana 45525 End Mill!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The image above is the "Ball Nose Name Format". I wonder what the "End Mill Name Format" is.

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

adze_cnc wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:50 pm
The image above is the "Ball Nose Name Format". I wonder what the "End Mill Name Format" is.
That was an example of where I was referring to. The "End Mill Name Format" screen also has the checkboxes unticked :)

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Yes. But look at what the "checkboxes" do. If checked they will perform a one-time only action when the OK button is clicked. (i.e. the next time you go in they revert to being unchecked)

1st checkbox: if selected when you press OK it will use whatever was typed into the input area as the format for creating new end mills (or ball nose, etc).

So, if you have typed in an absolute name, such as "Amana 45525 End Mill", all new end mills will be called "Amana 45525 End Mill". Note in the ball nose image that items in curly braces (such as {Tool Type} ) will have some value substituted—bit size, units of measure, tool type, etc.

2nd checkbox: if selected when press OK it will use whatever was typed into the input area as the format for updating all existing tools of that type to that value.

Again, if you have typed in an absolute name, such as "Amana 45525 End Mill", all old end mills will be called "Amana 45525 End Mill".

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

That's what I'm trying (badly) to explain.

The check boxes of all the existing tool types are unchecked.

When I add a new End Mill, but not any other type of tool, it defaults the name to Amana 45525. Every single time!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The only way I can replicate that is as follows and that is exactly how it's supposed to work IMO:

1. Create a new end mill.
2. Set it's name to "Amana 45525" and have the "Set as default" box checked.
3. Create another end mill. It will have the "Amana 45525" by default as it should.
4. Change it's name to "My New End Mill" and uncheck the "Set as default" box.
5. You will now have two end mills. One called "Amana 45525" and one called "My New End Mill"
6. Create another end mill and it will still be called "Amana 45525" because you haven't changed the default from that.

If you want to get rid of the "Amana 45525" as the default then you need to create a new endmill with whatever format name you want and then save that making sure the "Set as default" box is checked. If it's another literal name then that will be the default from then on.

If you want the name to be based on parameters then you can use the variables supplied but if you want the tool to have a literal manufacturers name and part number then you will need to rename each tool as you create it as the software has no way of knowing what to generate automatically for that.

NewAtThis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by NewAtThis »

That got it, thank you.