sidewinder CNC

mailman
Vectric Apprentice

sidewinder CNC

Post by mailman »

Does anyone have experience with Sidewinder CNC, I am having trouble aligning my X axis. The problem I am havimg is aligniging the two cross bars, I am getting binding and a "whinning " as they move right to left. I realize they have to paralell horizontal and vertical, but I cannot achieve this no matter what I do. Any tips or tricks will be apreciated. I have attached the assembly instructions. Thanks, Mark
Attachments
Assembly Instructions.pdf
(713.52 KiB) Downloaded 240 times

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: sidewinder CNC

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mark,

Have you tried leaving the HDPE shaft blocks screws lose while adjusting the postition of the rails? Maybe snug one rail then see if you can get the other rail parallel and moving smoothly and then snug the other screws? You might be able to adjust the rails while attached with the screws just barely snugged and be able to tap the rails with a rubber mallet to adjust the fit so the carriage slides smoothly?
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

mailman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mailman »

Thanks Wes, I tried that, moving Z axis to one end, then tighten, move to other and tighten, no luck. I have to get my Z axis perpendicular to table which makes it extra tough. Thanks again ,Mark

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mark,

It seems like the mounting holes should get the gantry into a 'ballpark' position if done right.
How much play is there in the locations of the holes for the rails and the HDPE mounting holes. The screw holes should only have the standard clearance for the size screws being used? It does mention supporting the rail assembly while mounting it in the instructions. Were you able to find a way to keep the rail assembly supported while working with it? You may have to rig something to position it while trying to get it squared and perpendicular to the bed. It sounds like it would be beneficial to have an extra set of hands to help? I wish I could be of more help :(
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

mailman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mailman »

Thanks again Wes, I get it so close where it is not binding, but I still get a "whining" in a few spots moving only left? I did try loosening the nuts slightly like you suggested and tapped with wood block and hammer.seemed to help a little. I wil try some more tomorrow. Thanks again, Mark

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mark,
I didn't see any mention of 'lubrication' in the instructions. I had a thought that a small portion of lubricant added to the rails may help get rid of the 'whining'?? I also read in the prior step about making sure the uprights are vertical when attached to the back support?
Do you think the back support could be influencing the positioning of the rails, and perhaps it can be losened slightly and adjusted?? Good luck with it.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

mailman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by mailman »

Thanks again Wes, I have not tried lube, I will give it a try. The side supports are dead on level, my machine is in my basement, so my floor slopes to the drain, I had to attatch leg levelers to my table to level and prevent racking. I got a little closer last night, hopefuly I will get it after work. Thanks again , Mark

whitetiger28th
Model of CNC Machine: Sidewinder CNC

Post by whitetiger28th »

It has been awhile! I completely tore my machine apart. Cleaned and ensured no lube left over on anything. All parts are 100% clean, machine is level and I now have full throws on all axis. Not partial or in between areas that work while outside/full length movements.. In otherwords no more binding.

The issues have not resolved completely. I upgraded to the newest version of Desktop and it cleared up the issue of not being able to set the 3D graphic to a certain depth within the wood. The issue that has not been resolved are the stray marks entering into the project at one end, exiting the project at the other end and several stray gouges throughout the project. The machine is solid on all rails and does not budge up and down to cause the marks. Any suggestions on what settings may need to change to reduce or eliminate the stray gouges into the project?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Upload a copy of a failed project.