VFD Error Codes

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: VFD Error Codes

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Have you checked the VFD to spindle connections, especially if it is a 3 phases spindle?

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Little Grey Man,

Thank you for your input. Yes, I checked the connections from the spindle to the VFD and they all seem to be okay. I was quite careful when connecting everything.
It's frustrating as it's hard to determine if it's the spindle or the VFD at fault.
With the spindle being water-cooled, I don't want to open it to check the motor inside, as I may not be able to seal it again.
I'm thinking the spindle is at fault because the VFD seems to work every time I put it on, and it shows the overload error. If the VFD is just on, then no error codes appear.

Thank you

Kind regards

Wannabe

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hey Everybody,

I haven't resolved my error code problem yet, as I want to try a couple of things first, I will keep you guys in the loop.

Thank you all so much for your input.

I certainly appreciate everyone's assistance in my quest to resolve this issue

Kind regards

Wannabe

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I would definitely ask your question on CNCzone as has already been mentioned, lots of help & info on these spindles there :lol: :lol:
There is also info on which settings on the VFD need to be set up & what values you should set them to.

Are you controlling the spindle through UCCNC or starting & setting the speed manually? If through UCCNC then check you have set it up correctly & you are using the correct plugin. I would check all connections again, not just visually but swing through the wires with a metre, make sure you have the phase wires from the VFD to the spindle connected round the right way, the numbers on CY cable can be difficult to read which is why that is best done with a test metre (for me anyway) :lol:

It seems to be a bit hit & miss with these spindle/VFD's, you either get a good one or you don't, one reason why some people spend more money & buy something more expensive with better support. I have read a lot of bad things about them but I guess I have been lucky with the 2 I have purchased for my machines :lol:

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Martin54,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate your advice.
I did actually go on CNCZone, and I read up on the info there, The parameter settings that they suggest, I already have mine the same way.
Regarding the wires from the spindle to the VFD, apart from the earth, the other three wires, I have been told it doesn't really matter which terminals they are connected to, U.V.W, but if the spindle goes in reverse, then just swap two of the spindle wires around on the VFD terminals. Is that wrong information given, or it's correct in the sense that isn't an issue if done in that manner? When I first connected everything, the spindle worked in the correct clockwise direction.
My main power source wires are Earth to Earth, Live to R, and Neutral to T.
The wires from UCCNC motion controller AXBB-E as per the attached pic, and run from as follows,
DCM - 24V
ACM - 5V
V1 - AXBBE AO1
FOR - 02
REV - 03.
I removed the reverse wire as I do not need my spindle to work in reverse.
Please, let me know your thoughts on the above.

Kind regards,

Wannabe
Attachments
VFD WIRES FINISHED 3.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

wannabecnc wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:38 am
Regarding the wires from the spindle to the VFD, apart from the earth, the other three wires, I have been told it doesn't really matter which terminals they are connected to, U.V.W, but if the spindle goes in reverse, then just swap two of the spindle wires around on the VFD terminals. Is that wrong information given, or it's correct in the sense that isn't an issue if done in that manner?
Correct

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks like LittleGreyMan has answered your question about the spindle wiring, I couldn't have done that as I know nothing about 3 phase & how it works, I just know that I wired my spindles as per the instructions & haven't had any problems lol

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Martin54 & LittleGreyMan,

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate you taking the time to help out.
Regarding the VFD, The Huanyang VFD has a parameter for a factory reset. Am I correct in thinking that if I use that parameter reset, Will the VFD go back to the settings that were on my VFD when I first bought it, Or will everything be back to zero?
Also, Let's assume the factory reset goes back to the parameter settings that were on the VFD when I bought it, Do you think that if I do the factory reset and then enter all of the parameters that I have, Will doing that resolve this error code issue?
I will attach the pics for my Parameters list. In that list, it's the info marked in Green that I set when I bought the VFD and spindle. The information down the right-hand side of the pages is what is listed in the Huanyang manual.
I have also attached the pics of my VFD wiring.
Please, let me know your views if the above is correct, or did I make a mistake that has caused the error code issue?
I can only assume that if my wiring and parameters are correct, then it's either a faulty spindle or VFD, Or both, and that will mean replacing them.

Kind regards,

Wannabe
Attachments
MY Spindle wiring 1.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 2.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 3.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 4.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 5.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 6.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 7.jpg
MY Spindle wiring 8.jpg
MY VFD Parameters page 1.jpg
MY VFD Parameters page 2.jpg
MY VFD Parameters page 3.jpg
MY VFD Parameters page 4.jpg
MY VFD Parameters page 5.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

wannabecnc wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:34 am
Hi Martin54 & LittleGreyMan,

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate you taking the time to help out.
You're welcome. That's what the forum is for.
wannabecnc wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:34 am
Regarding the VFD, The Huanyang VFD has a parameter for a factory reset. Am I correct in thinking that if I use that parameter reset, Will the VFD go back to the settings that were on my VFD when I first bought it,
That's the general behaviour of a factory reset. This should be detailed in the manual.

Remote repair won't be easy. Don't you know an electrical or automation technician in your neighbourhood? He will be able to fully check your wiring and to perform some simple tests with a multimeter.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Thank you for your reply.
If the VFD is faulty, then it will be an internal issue, as I know the connections for the spindle. the mains power, the probe, the limit switches, and the motion controller are good and in the right places.
I have tested the pins of the spindle and they are good. But what I can't do is test and or look at the actual motor inside the spindle to see if it has any issues.
Apart from the obvious error codes and the spindle stopping, Are there any other things to look for that might guide me in the direction of why these error codes are occurring?
I'm guessing that most people that experience these problems end up buying new VFD's and or spindles, which I guess works out cheaper than possible repairs.
I'm looking around at the moment for a sparky that has VFD and spindle knowledge, but there are few and far between, also $100 per hour minimum.
Thank you

Kind regards,

Wannabe

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Wannabee,

Do you have a multimeter?

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Yes, I do have a multimeter.

Regards,

Wannabe

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

OK.

Unplug totally your CNC from the main supply. Totally means the CNC, the controller, and every equipment that can be electrically connected. Better safe than sorry, for the equipment and especially for you.

I will number all points, so it will be easier for the feedback and will avoid any confusion

1) If the first picture show the plug on the body of the spindle, unplug it. Now, check on the spindle side the resistance between every phase pin and a metallic part of the body of the spindle. With a standard multimeter, the resistance must be infinite.
2) check the resistance between the earth pin and every phase pin. The result must be the same.
3) check the resistance between the earth pin and a metallic part of the body. The resistance must be close to 0

If one of these points fails, there is an issue with the spindle. If everything is as expected, you can't unfortunately be sure the spindle is OK. If your multimeter is an insulation tester multimeter, you are nearly sure there is no insulation issue.

If it is OK, do not plug again the spindle cable.

4) for each phase and the earth wire, check the resistance between the pin connector of the spindle and the corresponding screw of the VFD connector. Move the cable and the connexions while you are checking that. The resistance must be close to 0
5) while you're at that, check every connection and watch closely for something unusual (oxydation, loose connection, loose pin, ...)

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Thank you for your previous input.
Okay, The results of the resistance tests are as follows.
Pins 1-2-3 of the spindle. all 1.6. If I touch any one of the pins and to the body or earth connection, there aren't any readings.
The earth pin to pins 1-2 or 3, No reading. The earth pin to the body and or the earth wire connected to the spindle bracket, there isn't any reading.
I left the spindle unplugged and tested the VFD connections. U-V-W All read 0.2, as do R-S-T.
I ran a few tests on the spindle set at different RPM settings without cutting any material. The spindle had a surfacing bit attached.
At 10,000 RPM the current draw was 2.5, 2.6, 2.7.
At 15,000 RPM the current draw was 2.4, 2.5.
At 18,000 RPM the current draw was 1.6, 1.7
At max 24,000 RPM the current draw was 1.6, 1.7
Each RPM test ran for one minute. I had previously run the same tests. but I didn't record anything, so I ran the tests a second time and recorded them on my phone. I also ran two tests when I was setting up the RPM speed tests, so, in all I did ten minutes at various speeds and the spindle was still stone cold, with the exception of the collet shaft where it meets and goes into the spindle body, and that was tepid, virtually cold with the slightest hint of warmth.
All of the connections from the spindle to the VFD are clean, secure, and in the terminals properly, as are the main power wires.
I also checked the wires coming from the AXBB-E motion controller, and they are also connected properly.
My last project on the CNC was a piece of hardwood that I was surfacing. I started with the cut depth at 1 mm, Error code, Then 0.5 mm, Error code, I changed it to 0.1 mm, Error code. The majority of times for the error codes, it showed E.O.A.A, and a couple of times it was E.O.C.n.
0.1 mm is hardly touching the surface of the material, but, the error code came up quite quickly once the file was run.

Just a few weeks ago, I did a couple of engravings on glass, the VFD was not switched on and the spindle was not spinning any RPMs.
I used a spring-loaded drag bit and everything worked properly without anything stopping.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Wannabe

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi LittleGreyMan,

Just following up to see if you have had a chance to see the results from the few tests on the VFD and spindle that I did.

Talk soon.

Thank you
Kind regards,

Wannabe