VFD Error Codes

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

VFD Error Codes

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Everyone,
When I built my CNC, I installed a Huanyang HYO2D223B 2.2kw VFD and I have a 2.2kw water-cooled spindle to go with it.
When I ran my first couple of test projects, I didn't really know too much about the feeds and speeds, so when my VFD came up with error codes saying about overload, I thought maybe I caused that by putting too much on the spindle.
I have got better at the feeds and speeds, and just recently I went to surface a piece of hardwood and the VFD gave the overload error code again.
Two codes have come up on the VFD. E.O.C.n Which in the manual says, " Over-Load at constant speed " The other error code was " E.O.A.A " Motor overload 150% per minute.
Has anyone on here had error codes that are the same?
If the problem is the spindle, How can I test the spindle to know?
If the problem is the VFD, How can I test the VFD?
I feel sure the VFD parameters are correct. I went through the wiring connections on everything and all seems to be good. I made sure the wires in the aviator connector on the spindle were good and not shorting, again, all seemed to be good.
The Electrician said it isn't anything to do with the mains power input and the wiring for the CNC looked to be okay.
Please can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thank you

Kind regards,

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: VFD Error Codes

Post by AboveCreations »

I don't think anyone on here will be able to help with that. You have a manual? That is a step ahead of many others that purchased Chinese products. You might be better served to try to contact the folks that manufactured the product. Sorry, this isn't much help. Many years ago I had a Chinese machine with a water cooled VFD. Never gave me a problem, but the chinese manufacturer folks gave me video instruction of how to set it up, to include proper settings in mach3.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Above Creations,

Thank you, for replying. Today I was searching around and here's a thought, Although the VFD is showing the error codes, the spindle may be the actual cause of the error codes. If there is some issue going on inside the spindle causing it to draw too much current or short etc, then the VFD is just showing there is a problem, but the VFD isn't the cause. On the other hand, it could just be a faulty VFD.
Although an Electrician can test the wiring and test for short circuit faults or faulty current flow etc, he can't see inside to know if the spindle is having mechanical issues.
Yes, I have a manual and it's in English, surprisingly, but it's limited and doesn't give any suggested resolves, unfortunately.
I aksed on here as I thought there would be a reasonable amount of information about the issue, especially if so many have had the same or similar issues. It would be interesting to see what resolves were found.

Thank you for your kind reply

Kind regards

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I have been running a Huanyang VFS and spindle for about 4 years with no issues so far(knock on wood they are cheap and it sounds like it can be hit or miss). Have you tried air cutting with no load on the spindle? What RPM's are you typically running at? Too slow and you will have problems from what I understand, the slowest I have run is 8000 rpm. Is it in both hard and soft materials? Do you have good water flow?
Am I correct that this has happened since it was new? Are you still in a warranty window?

Have you looked at this forum for information ? https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindles ... -eoaa.html

Sorry no hard answer, I wish you luck and please let us know if you figure it out.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Changing the accel/decel settings helps at times. If it gets up to speed fast, or slows down to fast, it can give those errors. What is the time setting in parameters for accel and decel?
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Wannabecnc...you might want to contact www.automatiotechnologiesinc.com they are a Huanyang reseller...Their website should have contact information.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for your replies and input, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do that.
Rig Gap, I will contact the Huanyang site that you posted, Hopefully, they can throw some light on how to get a resolve.
Ken Chlik, My Acc time setting is 5 and my Decel time is 10. Do you think these times are too quick? What would you suggest for me to try in the hope it might help?
Scotttarnor, I'm happy that your Huanyang setup has been successful for you. My slowest rpm on two occasions, but only briefly, was 8000, every other time it's been 9000 or higher. I actually read yesterday on an ad for a new spindle and in the seller's ad it does say, do not go below 9000 rpm or it could damage the spindle. I thought that was a good honest remark from a seller.
I have had the error codes on both soft and hardwood, but the problem is intermittent and doesn't happen every time I use the CNC.
The most recent time was on hardwood and I was surfacing with a 38 mm surfacing bt. the cut depth was 1mm the feed rate was 1400 mm per min and the rpm was 12000. after the first error code, I changed the depth of cut to 0.5 mm, the error came again.
I changed the cut depth to 0.1 mm, I ran the file seven times at 0.1mm. Three times, no error codes, four times up came the error codes.
Yesterday I tried 0.1 mm and the spindle moved across the material, ( 450 x 280 mm) lowered itself, and moved into the material about 70 mm and the error code came up. On 0.1 mm, the cutting tool is almost cutting the air.
There isn't any warranty as I bought all the raw materials and wiring and electronics etc back in late 2020, but unfortunately, I had a couple of lower back ops, so the CNC build was on the back burner for quite some time. Excuse the pun ( Back Burner ) lol.
I only recently built the CNC in the last 8 months or so. The coolant flow seems to be good, each time I switch the pump on, I see the coolant moving through the hose.
I will jump on the CNCZone link that you gave me and see what information is there.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Kind Regards

Wannabe

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Rig Gap,

Sorry to bother you, but the Huanyang reseller link that you posted wouldn't open up, it seems that the spelling of the link could be wrong.
When you get a moment, would you please have a look?

Thank you

Kind regards,

Wannabe

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi RCNewcomb,

Thank you for the link, it worked.
Being in Australia, I hadn't heard of that company, but it looks like they sell a lot of stuff for CNC. Is that the go-to place for you guys?
Are they a good company to deal with?

Thank you

Kind regards,

Wannabe

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Sorry for the "missing link"...and Thank You Randall for getting it right.

Wannabecnc...I haven't used them for any parts, but an acquaintance of mine has...That's how I found out about them.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Rig Gap,

Thank you. I emailed their Tech Support, so I guess it's just a matter of "wait and see" and if they reply. Hopefully, they will.
In regard to the error code, I ran a simple file yesterday on pine, it was five lines, 4 mm wide x 1.5 mm deep, and about 280 mm long.
The spindle got to the last 60 mm of the fifth line and then the error code showed up. Each time the error code appears, the spindle slows down and stops.
In UCCNC I can hit the pause button as soon as the error code slows the spindle so that the tool doesn't burn the material.
When the error code has stopped the spindle and the pause button is on in UCCNC, if I hit the stop button on the VFD I can continue the file, sometimes it will complete the file and sometimes the error comes up before the end of the file, but the error code is happening more frequently than it did before. I'm not too sure if that's an indicator of a particular issue, that is obvious.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Wannabe

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Your VFD probably includes a default switch you can connect into the security circuit of your controller (serial connexion with the emergency stop).
It will protect your machine, your bit and your material. And avoid you a lot of anxiety monitoring the CNC.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi Little Grey Man,

Thank you for the input, I will have to contact the Techs at UCCNC and ask them if there is a default switch in the VFD that can be connected into my AXBB-E Motion Controler.
It's not something I have heard of, So, How does it work?

Thank you
Kind regards,

Wannabe

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

General behaviour. It may or may not match your configuration: ask help from a local electrician to check it.

A VFD generally provides a potential free switch which remains closed while the VFD is operating normally (just as an emergency stop). When a problem occurs, it opens, as your emergency stop does. Connecting both in serial means that if any of them is activated, the controller will manage an emergency stop.
In any case, the schematics and the manual of both the controller and the VFD have to be analysed before making any connection.
The VFD switch may be multi-purposed and require to be configured.