EMCO f1 CNC with vcarve?

NACC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510HD

EMCO f1 CNC with vcarve?

Post by NACC »

Hi guys- a bit of a noob question but hoping someone can point me in the right direction- I have the opportunity to purchase an EMCO F1 CNC desktop mill, I would like to use vcarve / ready 2 carve as a post processor to run my g-code on it. I don't see the EMCO F1 in the processor drop-down list. Is there a way to make this mill run with ready 2 carve? It has older DC steppers on it now, can I re-power it with new stepping motors? I need to use a desktop mill to carve brass and steel. thanks.
www.northamericancannon.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: EMCO f1 CNC with vcarve?

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It looks like Emco has a choice of control software. You need to find out which one this particular machine is running. If it is running Fanuc control software then you would select that post processor in VCarve.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I am very familiar with Fanuc, and somewhat familiar with Hidenhein. Both are pretty generic G-Code. There are several Posts in Vectric that will work. The third control I have no knowledge of, but I would guess that it is also pretty generic G-Gode and again several of the Vectric post "should" work.

With a little understanding of g-code you can modify any Vectric post to get the post output where you want it.

Looks like you have a sweet opportunity.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:32 pm
I am very familiar with Fanuc, and somewhat familiar with Hidenhein. Both are pretty generic G-Code. There are several Posts in Vectric that will work. The third control I have no knowledge of, but I would guess that it is also pretty generic G-Gode and again several of the Vectric post "should" work.

With a little understanding of g-code you can modify any Vectric post to get the post output where you want it.

Looks like you have a sweet opportunity.

Thanks- i'm pretty new at how the work flows from design- to it being milled out- I know the design happens in the cad and saved as crv files, then setting up toolpaths and converting those tap / gcode for the mill. I've never been clear on if there's only 1 proprietary gcode that the mill processor works with- it's a mess in my head lol. vactric / vcarve / ready 2 carve is the first cnc system I've used- so I'd like to use the emco with the same setup because it's what I'm familiar with.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Do you mean ready2control ? If you do then it may not be possible to use that with your EMCO CNC machine.

As far as I am aware that is the control software for NextWave machine control & is proprietary software for NextWave machines. It may not work or you may not be able to licence it to work with other brands of machines :lol: :lol:

Vectric software will work with a wide range of CNC machines so producing your designs & toolpath files is not a problem, there are a wide range of CNC control programs supported so finding a post-processor & outputting your gcode isn't normally a problem. It is the actual control of the CNC machine that may be an issue for you :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

For the most part G-Code is pretty standardized. For a Mill, Machining Center, CNC Router, CNC Lathe it is pretty standard.

Geometric - (geometry) - codes
G0 or G00 means to move the machine as fast as it can go to a designated point - X, Y, and or Z
G1 or G01 means to move the machine to a designated point - X, Y, and or Z - AT a specified FEEDRATE --- Fxxx
G2 or G02 is an arc move - with some specified parameters like I, J, K - or R
G3 or G03 is an arc move - with some specified parameters like I, J, K - or R
Those as well as a few others are pretty general.

Then there are machine codes
M5 or M05 Turn the spindle off
M3 or M03 Turn the spindle ON CW - with a specified RPM Sxxx
M4 or M04 Turn the spindle ON CCW - with a specified RPM Sxxx (not popular on the CNC Routers I have seen)

M30, M2 will end the program

There are other codes as well but for a large part the above is generally the bulk.
The machine programming manual will have a list of G-Codes and M-Codes specific to the machine.

There are a few differences in "some" M codes, but mostly the same.
This is why I say there are several post processors that will work with your machine as long as it is G-Code driven.
Like I said - I don't know the third option but Fanuc, certainly and pretty sure Hiedenhein is G-Code.

The majority of machines and controls I have worked with over the years are like this.
Fanuc, Yasnac, Brother, Haas, Mach3, Larken, MaxNC, Centroid Acorn, Okuma, and others are all pretty much the same.
Fanuc is one of the most popular controllers on this planet.

What is ready 2 carve?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

When I was teaching CNC classes at the Community College, we had an Emco desk top mill and a desk top lathe...the machines were controlled by the removable front panel to be programmed either as Fanuc controllers or Seimens controllers by trading those panels...If you have the Fanuc control panel, you should be able to use a generic G-code post processor.
I've heard of owners changing the Emco controller to a Centroid Acorn controller because of issues with Emco...that may be a way for you to go, then use the Centroid post processor.
Not saying that is a "have to", just one suggestion if your front panel is an unknown.

NACC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NACC »

some really great info here guys- i really appreciate it. yes, i meant to say "ready 2 control" I have "carve" stuck in the brain :lol:
i'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of retrofitting an older emco f1 vs just buying a new Taig CNC with the processor and programming all together for $3500. I feel like by the time I'm done with the emco, I'll be close too what I would've spent on the taig.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

NACC wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:10 pm
some really great info here guys- i really appreciate it. yes, i meant to say "ready 2 control" I have "carve" stuck in the brain :lol:
i'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of retrofitting an older emco f1 vs just buying a new Taig CNC with the processor and programming all together for $3500. I feel like by the time I'm done with the emco, I'll be close too what I would've spent on the taig.
That isn't an easy question to answer, it depends on a few factors, if the machine is complete & working then it may be fairly straight forward to get up & cutting, you would have to learn how to use a different control system for the machine as it won't come with ready2control but that isn't to difficult, you have already done it once :lol: :lol:
If the machine isn't complete & requires you add parts then that is a completely different conversation & will require a much deeper understanding :lol: :lol: