Newbie and BravoProdigy stepper changes

Blithespirit
Model of CNC Machine: Beileigh DEM-2720

Newbie and BravoProdigy stepper changes

Post by Blithespirit »

Hi all, first post on here so hello from the UK.

Some newbie help please if you would not mind.

After buying a Baileigh DEM-2720 (Bravoprodigy 5070) and then VCarve Pro I have hit a small snag, I have picked up VCarve Pro very well and am cutting away like a rampant beaver however I have found the size output is not the same as the gcode input, using a 1mm endmill profile cut (outside cut, no offset, 2mm deep, all else default) a:

20mm cube is 21.5mm,
40mm cube is 43mm
60mm cube is 64.5mm

Using an offset still gives the same % changes.

It seems that a linear move of 1.5mm per 20mm is happening. I think I need to change the stepper motor config but I do not know what or how to use to get to the configuration

It uses a Bravoprodigy Post processor or plain gcode (all set to work in mm same as the job and endmill).

I tried the same on a Baileigh DEM-1717 (BP 3030, small desktop) and with an offset I get consistent -+.1mm changes with the same cuts. so it must be the stepper config.

Does anyone know of a way to do this as I cannot find anything on the tinternet and BP and Baileigh are out for holidays it seems

Thanks

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Newbie and BravoProdigy stepper changes

Post by martin54 »

Not familiar with the machine so have no idea what control software you are using.
As part of your setting up did you make sure the machine was calibrated properly? What I mean by that is if you tell the machine to move say 150mm does it actually move 150mm? The more accurately you can measure the amount each axis moves when instructed the better :lol: :lol:
Your control software should have some way to let you do that & make changes if required. That would be the first step. Once that is done then you move on to cutting a few regular shapes like a square & circle & actually measure the size of the parts cut. :lol: :lol:

Blithespirit
Model of CNC Machine: Beileigh DEM-2720

Re: Newbie and BravoProdigy stepper changes

Post by Blithespirit »

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply, I did and all was good when using the machine itself, and as the title says it was a typical Newbie error I just resolved!

I had both the DEM-1717 and the DEM-2720 software on the same PC (the software is the same at face value and version is too), however the drivers are different as is the stepper motors in the machines.

I did uninstall the DEM-1717 software from the system when i got the new bed, but it seems to have left the actual configuration files for the smaller machine, so the controller was using the wrong information.

The vendor was great on it as was the manufacturer who pointed it out to me without sarcasm!!
Simple fix!
Re-format the whole pc (for my own sanity and cleanliness)
Reinstall windows 10, updates and AV, install only the DEM-2727 software and funny enough all is good in the world.
so now to actually learn how to make great things and have fun!

Thanks again for the help. I will do as you advise anyway just for clarity all is really sorted out.

Paul