Is this a code or hardware issue??

Wood-Smoke
Model of CNC Machine: SD110

Is this a code or hardware issue??

Post by Wood-Smoke »

I've recently updated the Vectric Desktop to 11.05(?latest) but I've not run this job before so I don't know if the version is important.
The CNC is a Shark SD110 so you can tell I'm just getting my feet wet in the hobby.
I downloaded the files from the Vectric web site for the "cutie box" to make some Christmas presents.
There is a defect where the 1/4" downcut bit starts a plunge on a 2" ramp to make the circular cut out. The issue of the bit being offset all the way to the bottom of the cut, is circled in yellow in the attached images.
odd offsetsm.jpg
odd offset2sm.jpg
Considering the defect is Very repeatable, it happens on every circle created with this project, I'm wondering why the 2D profile toolpath has this aberration in it, when it's supposed to be a circle. I've cut 9 circles and all of them have this defect. The aberration below, looks to be opposite to what I'm seeing in the cutout.
Toolpath screen shot
Toolpath screen shot
Interestingly, this particular defect highlighted, is exactly at the point on of where a toolpath tabs is at.
I'm too much a novice to know how to edit the toolpath.
Should I try moving the toolpath tab away from the location of the initial location where the tool contacts the wood for the ramp?
Is there something else I'm doing or not doing to cause this. So far, I've been able to sand the issue away.
Thanks for your time in replying.
+++++++____________________+++++++
SD110 with 2W laser kit
My Garage is full of good intentions!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Is this a code or hardware issue??

Post by FixitMike »

My vote is for machine deflection. The Shark SD110 is not a particularly rigid machine. What happens if you move the tab to a different location?
You could also try reducing the tool plunge speed.
The Help-Help Contents has a lot of useful information about toolpaths. You can find the same help by clicking on the little question mark in the upper left.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can you post the CRV file so we can rule that out?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I wish I had a nickel for every "aberration" we have seen on Shark machines. . . . .

that said, any cnc machine is better than no cnc machine IMHO.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Wood-Smoke

Post by Wood-Smoke »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:56 pm
Can you post the CRV file so we can rule that out?
I'll try to move the tab so it's not coincident with the starting point of the ramp.
Attached is the CRV file as requested.
Cutie_Box_bottom_an_middle.crv
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Is there anything I've left out that will help with diagnosing?
Oh, I'm using the "ready to control" software, but I don't think that matters
It seems very odd to me that the same issue would occur in the same place with every circle.
I think I mentioned that I cut out 9 circles and all of them have this in the same place.
Is this something I should send to Vectric or Nextwave to puzzle out?
Thanks for reviewing the data,
SD110 with 2W laser kit

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I looked at your file I believe your pass depth .118 is too aggressive for your shark, I usually limit my Pirahna to .06 and have no issues.
You may also want to ramp in.
Also watch your speed feed and chipload, make sure you are getting chips not dust and that your bit is not getting hot.
Scott T

@scottscnc

Wood-Smoke

Post by Wood-Smoke »

scotttarnor wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:16 pm
I looked at your file I believe your pass depth .118 is too aggressive for your shark, I usually limit my Pirahna to .06 and have no issues.
You may also want to ramp in.
Also watch your speed feed and chipload, make sure you are getting chips not dust and that your bit is not getting hot.

Hmm, you may be on to something with the pass depth. Here is the CRV for the top of the box.
Cutie_Box_top_REG.crv
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
The pass depth is .08 and the aberration isn't as bad as the more aggressive pass depth. The ramp is over 3".
I am seeing chips, coming out. The wood I'm using Jatoba aka Brazillian Cherry, Very Hard (which was a poor choice I might add) burns on cross grain, even if you just talk about making the cut.
Thanks for the ideas of what to look for!
SD110 with 2W laser kit

Wood-Smoke

Post by Wood-Smoke »

Thanks again for the tips to correct the issue. I haven't had a moment to re-try the project, mostly because I didn't have sufficient material left over to remake any of the parts.
The project sure was a good one for learning about several aspects of image placement, wood type, cutting speed, and finishing.
I don't think I'll be using Brazilian Cherry for the next project, as I mentioned, all you need to do it think about cutting across grain and the wood will make burn marks.. It sure does look nice when you get the finish on it though..
In any case, I wanted to post the picture of the completed project. It took a bit of finishing to get the marks out of the wood, but I think the final product came out well enough to give as a gift.
IMG_4666.jpg
IMG_4669.jpg
IMG_4671.jpg
SD110 with 2W laser kit

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for posting the pictures & updating the post, always helpful when others can see what has happened.
Don't write off using a particular type of wood until you have had the chance to experiment fully. It may be that you just haven't found the correct settings for this type of wood yet :lol: :lol:
Burning is obviously caused by heat build up so look at ways to reduce it, this may include reducing spindle or router speed, increasing feedrate, reducing the number of flutes on a bit & removing chips that have already been cut to prevent recutting. You will also probably have to alter the depth of cut but not so much that you are cutting just dust :lol: :lol:
Of course you may find after experimenting that your initial thoughts were correct & your current set up will simply not do a great job with this type of material :lol:

Using other people's settings is only going to work if they have exactly the same machine & set up & even then it is still best to do your own fine-tuning, using manufacturers recommended settings is also just a starting point & should not be taken as correct as they can't cater for every type of machine & it's set up :lol: :lol: :lol: