Machine setup

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Machine setup

Post by martin54 »

Thought I would ask in here as I know there are some machine experts on the forum :lol: :lol:

So looking for options on setting up a machine that I have just rebuilt the control box for, the actual machine came out of a school & was originally made by Conect Numerical Control, it is a moving table machine & in the original control box I couldn't see anything that showed which axis was which & without the correct software there was no way for me to test it before rebuilding the control box.
So as I said it's moving table rather than moving gantry, the machine sits inside an enclosure so the obvious place to stand would be by the door, there are 3 limit switches fitted but where they are positioned just now it doesn't seem like I can home the machine to the bottom left corner so it is the same as my other machine :lol: :lol:
So looking for some advice on which axis should be X & Y & also how I would set a job up in the software to cut correctly.
CNC layout.png

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Machine setup

Post by IslaWW »

Martin...
Here is the way I would do it. Ist and foremost, remember that as the table moves left to home, the cutting head is moving right in relation to the table. By that logic, axes that moves right and away to home are both moving positive. So the machine XY home location is in the upper right corner of the cutting surface. I am assuming a 48" by 48" table with my examples below.

Depending on your control software you should simply be able to tell the controller to home in the positive direction and either provide the position (+48 for example) or provide the positive offset . You could also use a G54 X-48 & Y-48 offset (locked) for the table physical layout and then use g55-59 for user work coords
Moving Table Layout.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks Gary, was hoping you would be checking the forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I just need to know the physical limits of the X & Y axis in order to enter an offset if I have read that correctly :lol: :lol: I am using UCCNC & I believe that allows me to enter an offset, always wondered what that was used for lol.
At least I will know how to set the Denford up when I get round to it. I think the whole table moving rather than the gantry was scrambling my brain :oops: :oops:

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Martin....
Yup, even tho the mill guys are up with it as the normal thing, a moving table tosses a curveball at us "router heads", a few of us even figure it out. Good news is that the machines and controller don't care
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

All sorted & tested thanks Gary, it was the offset that threw me more than anything lol, the Denford is a small mill but I must have been searching for the wrong thing on the internet because I couldn't seem to find anything about setting it up. Still now I know it won't be a problem, just need to get the spindle control sorted for the Denford & I can take that for a test drive as well :lol: :lol: