small cuts

ESparlin
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber Dimension 200

small cuts

Post by ESparlin »

Hello i am new to the forum, I am having problems, I just retrofitted a Gerber Dimension 200 with all new motors, spindle, drive mach3, and have close to 3500 in the upgrade and not able to run a gcode. I have done the calibrations of the axis and they are dead on, but when trying to run a gcode that is 7 inches in length it only cuts at about 2 inches. I have tried several different post processors and that does nothing. I am using vcarve pro 11. I just keep coming up with the same results. I would very much appreciate any help I can get. thanks and have a good evening

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Re: small cuts

Post by rig gap »

Just a guess...But I would say the problem is in the Mach3 configuration rather than Vectric or post processors...check the steps per revolution and driver set-up.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Would "about 2 inches" be about 2.75 inches? If so, 7cm is (to 4 decimal places) 2.7559 inches. That would suggest the controller is set to interpret lengths as centimeters rather than inches.

Which post-processor did you try first and why?

ESparlin

Post by ESparlin »

mach 2/3 arcs inchs this is the one that I was told was correct .

ESparlin

Post by ESparlin »

rig gap wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:04 am
Just a guess...But I would say the problem is in the Mach3 configuration rather than Vectric or post processors...check the steps per revolution and driver set-up.
can you point me in the direction in mach3 to make the adjustments, I am set up to run in inches.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

ESparlin wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:01 am
rig gap wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:04 am
can you point me in the direction in mach3 to make the adjustments, I am set up to run in inches.
I'm not running Mach3 any longer, but in the documentation there is a calculation to figure the correct turns/steps per inch/mm for however your machine is set up...gear drive, screw drive, etc.
You have to know how many steps per revolution your motors are rated at (typically 200 steps), then you have to know how many turns of the lead screw or how many turns of the drive gear cause the axis to move 1 in or a number of mm. Then you have to know if your drivers are stepping full, half, or a value of micro steps.

As I said all this is in the Mach3 documentation available from their website...sorry I can't help better than that because I no longer have that file on my computer since I changed to a different control software.

Maybe someone currently using Mach3 will step in and help further.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you have calibrated the machine correctly as you said in your first post then it is more likely you are using the wrong post-processor as adze_cnc has suggested. I would check that you did actually select inches as the controlling units when you first set up your mach3 profile :lol: :lol:
It has nothing to do with what units you are using for your design within Vectric software :lol: :lol:

ESparlin

Post by ESparlin »

May be a little off topic, but I just done the update to 11.5 and when I went to use my mach3 the ESS stepper won't wake when starting the program, dont know if this has anything to do with it or not but was working before i made the download. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

ESparlin wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:49 am
May be a little off topic, but I just done the update to 11.5 and when I went to use my mach3 the ESS stepper won't wake when starting the program, dont know if this has anything to do with it or not but was working before i made the download. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Did you migrate your settings? Have you verified the PP?
Scott T

@scottscnc

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

My first thought was you need to calibrate your steps. Under Settings, Set Steps per Unit (just above Reset button).

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG